SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Philba
I got the dreamGear controller and punched in the FCC number - it comes up under a different manufacturers name (e-core) and says it uses the nordic 2401. But when I popped it open it has a decidedly different xcvr module - F antenna, 9 pins (vs 12) and a cob-blob. Board label says it's a MARI05C which makes it a CC2500 based xceiver boards. I'll have to do more rooting around the fcc site but I'm getting optomistic.

Isn't this a violation of FCC rules - improper labeling?
By samlittlewood
Philba wrote:One of the reasons the microstrip antennas suck is orientation and height. If you can put the module up high and in proper orientation (not sure what is best, though), then you will have better reception/tranmission
I think these F antenna have the maxium 'out of the back of the F'
Code: Select all
       /\
       ||
       Max

------------------
|   |
|   |
##################
##################
##################
Philba wrote:... The FCC one uses a chipcon cc2500 ...
They are really nice parts, well documented (and what isn't documented has a nice code generation wizard) and lots of sample code. I have been using them in some of my designs: http://www.sixthavenue.co.uk/files/flit ... sradio.jpg. If that is what is there, then grab a handful - I am rather jealous! I have been hoping to find an example over here, but so far it is all Signia or Atmel based modules - which require external oscillators and a codec.
Philba wrote:Sam, do you know if the FCC requires recertification if the transcierver modules are used in a different product?
Yes, unless the module is independently certified - in which case it will need to be completely shielded, have it's own voltage regulators, and have all the IOs be isolated (I think there is also a restriction about not being operated with 20cm of the body)

This exploration has been pretty eye opening for me as far as FCC approval goes - most things I have looked at before have appeared to be conducted 'properly'. This lot are rather, um, curious:

- Different electronic turning up under the same ID: I think you are supposed to approve any change - unless you can make a good case for it being electrically identical. certainly any change of chipset, crystal freqs. etc. would need it as far as I can tell.

- Comedy exhibits: Single line descriptions and meaningless block diagrams.

- Bad schematics: incomplete, wrong,or for obviously different electronics.

TTFN

SamL

Edit:
Philba wrote:Board label says it's a MARI05C which makes it a CC2500
Yup - that looks good - what FCC-ID did it have?
By Philba
samlittlewood wrote:
Philba wrote:Board label says it's a MARI05C which makes it a CC2500
Yup - that looks good - what FCC-ID did it have?
it was the one for the nRF2401 - not even close. since it's a cob blob, I hope I can find a schematic with the pin out.

thanks for all the help. this is turning out pretty good.

I think for my first experiment, I'll set it up to use the controller to drive a minisumo bot around.

By the way, I'm also looking at the USB chip - there might be something to use it for. The FCC thinks there's a cypress USB chip in there but it's anyones guess since it, too, is a cob blob so I'll just have to do some sleuthing.

Phil

[edit] oh, crap. my kids found the controller and are pissed that I'm tearing it apart. I just smile and say, TOUGH. mean ol dad. [/edit]

[edit2]I think I have the pin out. found a CC2500 based dreamgear entry in the fcc database (a real gold mine) and the pin out on that schematic appears to be the same. at least the 2 grounds and VCC are in the same place. The test pin (gdo0) is connected on my board but not on the schematic. Not sure if that's an issue. I've drawn up an eagle part for the module if anyone wants it. damn thing uses a 2mm pitch header of which I have none so guess it's a trip to Mouser... [/edit]
By samlittlewood
Is the model number something like DGXN-740 ? Someone is selling them here under the name 'Freeplay'.
Philba wrote:...oh, crap. my kids found the controller...
The kids are under control - not so the cat - tries to chew probe leads and steals components :-(
Philba wrote:The test pin (gdo0) is connected on my board but not on the schematic. Not sure if that's an issue.
Should not be a problem - module brings it out, but joystick does not use it. There are 3 GDOx lines, and they can be configured to be a whole range of interesting outputs. I use GDO1 as RX packet ready, shared with SO, and GDO2 as clock - I didn't route GDO0 on my little board - didn't need it either.

The facility to output the radio's clock, optionally divided down, is useful. On power up GDIO2 is CLK/192 - that can be used to clock the MCU (which can then reduce the divider once it gets going)

Philba wrote:... damn thing uses a 2mm pitch header ...
What I do for 2mm pitch prototyping is break out the individual pins and sockets from the 32 way cuttable strips - _just_ enough clearance!

TTFN

SamL
By Philba
samlittlewood wrote:Is the model number something like DGXN-740 ? Someone is selling them here under the name 'Freeplay'.
yup, that is exactly it. FCC number is SIWHP8131 for the hand controller and SIWHP8131A for the USB dongle. Note that the fcc database has it as a nRF2401 based device. (which isn't bad but the cc2500 looks a lot easier to use)
samlittlewood wrote:
Philba wrote:]... damn thing uses a 2mm pitch header ...
What I do for 2mm pitch prototyping is break out the individual pins and sockets from the 32 way cuttable strips - _just_ enough clearance!
Yeah, I thought about that but was hoping for a socket so I could eval the thing in a breadboard (which is 100 mil pitch holes). I'd build a little adaptor/header with 100 mil pins. I may just snip up a cuttable 100 mil socket strip I have. Kind of ugly but it's disposable.