SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By newbierobert
i am newbie :lol:

using a 4x4 kepad would like to log all keystroke to an eeprom so it could be later retrieved

what do i need...where could i get more info pls help
thank you :?
By newbierobert
pls some one just need at least ur input ( what do i need)
basic stamp with eeprom and
a keypad encoder should that do it
it has to be really small
thank you

so could get started thanks again
By leon_heller
You don't need a keypad encoder, a 4x4 keypad can be handled with minimal hardware on a suitable MCU with eight I/Os. Not really a beginner's project, though.

Leon
By newbierobert
can someone show me examples or links pls it would really help thanks
By riden
Scanning a 4 x 4 keyboard in software is not difficult and you can add a serial EEPROM chip like an Atmel 24C128 (16k) or 24C256 (32k) to store your keystrokes. Your requirements are well within the capabilities of all but the most basic microcontrollers. If you can dump the stored keystrokes via the serial port to a PC, then all you need is a processor with 10 IO lines plus the serial connections and 2k of program space (estimate).

A BASIC Stamp would work and probably meets your size requirement. Kronos http://www.kronosrobotics.com has similar chips that I know will work, but you would need to supply your own board or buy one of theirs.

SparkFun carries a number of boards that would also meet the requirements. They are inexpensive and very well made and provide greater expansion opportunities and flexibility. The tradeoff is that the learning curve is a bit steeper and you would need a PIC programmer or a chip with a bootloader built in so you can download your program. You would also need to choose a development environment (C, BASIC, Assembly, etc.) to write your program.
By riden
newbierobert wrote:can someone show me examples or links pls it would really help thanks
Google
"Basic Stamp" matrix keypad
PIC matrix keypad
PIC serial EEPROM

to get started.
By newbierobert
do you have any site with examples (keypad scanning)or boards that will give me an idea for what to buy.....thanks again much app. :wink: the programing is fine for me with C :P but the hardware is what bugs me thanks again.....
By dext3r
What is your intent for this device?

4X4 keypad...storing numbers....thats all?

Not to sound negative here, but it sounds to me like you could be trying to build an ATM keypad spoofer...
By upand_at_them
Nah, probably just a homework assignment.

Let's see the work he's done so far. How about a flowchart? An outline? Some show of work?

Mike
By chromatech
i agree with dext3r.

sounds like an ATM spoof.

regarding how to do it read read read!
and google.