SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ryan
hi
what value for the X and Y filter caps should i choose to get any useful work from ADXL202.is 0.1uF OK ?
By leon_heller
ryan wrote:hi
what value for the X and Y filter caps should i choose to get any useful work from ADXL202.is 0.1uF OK ?
That's what I used on a little PCB I designed for it. It does depend on the application, though.

Leon
By ryan
leon_heller wrote:
That's what I used on a little PCB I designed for it. It does depend on the application, though.

Leon
what if i want to use it an a tilt sensor for the RC plane or in the IMU ?
By leon_heller
ryan wrote:
leon_heller wrote:

Leon
what if i want to use it an a tilt sensor for the RC plane or in the IMU ?
It works OK as a tilt sensor with those values, so it might be OK for the plane.

Leon
By ryan
i have another question about accelerometers. if accelerometers can do the job of tilt sensors then why do we need Gyros ?
By leon_heller
ryan wrote:i have another question about accelerometers. if accelerometers can do the job of tilt sensors then why do we need Gyros ?
To measure angular rotation.

Leon
By roach
leon_heller wrote:To measure angular rotation.
Is that the same as "turning"? Like, if my plane (or robot, or whatever) turns left or right, and I want to know the exact angle that it turned, I would use a Gyro, whereas if I want to know linear acceleration (and by extension velocity), I would use an accelerometer.

Is that correct?
By leon_heller
roach wrote:
leon_heller wrote:To measure angular rotation.
Is that the same as "turning"? Like, if my plane (or robot, or whatever) turns left or right, and I want to know the exact angle that it turned, I would use a Gyro, whereas if I want to know linear acceleration (and by extension velocity), I would use an accelerometer.

Is that correct?
Yes, finding the angle the plane is turning through.

Leon
By Philba
on the filter cap - the datasheet is quite detailed on tradeoffs of filter cap size. .1 uF is a reasonable choice but does affect measurement bandwidth. I got a bunch of 202s from surplused game controllers and they had .47uF caps on them. I assume this was to keep the noise low - pretty slow 10 hz updates though.

by the way, this was an incredible bargain - $1.50 (iirc) for each controller. the 202 was mounted on a little daughter board. lots of other nice scounging parts as well. too bad they are all gone, wish I'd bought more than 4.

Phil