SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
I'm trying to find the necessary hardware for a 16-pin ribbon cable connector (the kind of idiot-proof connectors you would see between the hard drive and motherboard of your PC). I need the "female" connector housing (the part that's soldered to the motherboard), the "male" connector (the part that's attached to the cable), and the cable itself. Searching for ribbon cable connectors on digikey strangely yields nothing approaching what I'm looking for. I would have thought these were fairly common components. Am I just not using the right vocabulary?

Any ideas where I can find this?
By Kuroi Kenjin
I've always had problems finding connectors too.

I actually recommend Jameco (jameco.com) since they have pictures of what connector you're looking for (and they're cheaper than digikey with no handling fees for small orders) Check under Interconnects -> Rectangular Connectors.

I recommend using 0.1" series connectors (polarized male, female housing and pins are all in here.)

Just remember, some or most of these connectors requires crimpers. Don't try to do it by hand. I did, and it's not pretty... (falls apart sometimes too).
By roach
Kuroi Kenjin wrote:Interconnects -> Rectangular Connectors.
Brilliant! Thanks again, Kuroi!
By powool
I did a couple of sets of rectangular headers for connecting to my MSP430F169 protoboard. There were 8 pin headers and I used pliers to crimp the individual pins. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. The problem is the time it takes to get it done neatly.

If you can use the IDC connectors, that is especially nice - just need to make sure you get the pins where you want them.

[ed - I said 8 pin, but meant 10 pin]
Last edited by powool on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By roach
powool wrote:If you can use the IDC connectors, that is especially nice - just need to make sure you get the pins where you want them.
Thanks, powool. I just finally figured out that this is what they're called ("IDC").
By Kuroi Kenjin
So that's and IDC!! Ya' learn something everyday.

Nice prices on that website, beebop!
By wiml
IDC = "insulation displacement connector", it refers to the way that you just sort of press them on to the ribbon cable and the little knives inside punch through the insulation and connect to each wire.
By roach
These IDC connectors are exactly what I was looking for. Looks like EAGLE doesn't have them, though (not even for download on the cadsoft site). I guess I'll have to design my own...
By busonerd
Look @ the Pinheader lib- or con-lsta + lstb ones

They're in there.

--David Carne
By roach
Thanks, busonerd. I was just doing a search for *IDC*

The headers in those libraries provide the correct pad placement, but aren't actual IDC headers. IDC headers (particularly the "female" header. The part that goes on the actual board) require additional clearance around the pins, to allow for the plug, etc.

Anyway, I ended up creating my own. Not sure if they're correct, since I can't find a datasheet, but they'll do for now :)