SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
Does anyone know of a way to copy all or part of one schematic file into another schematic file in EAGLE? If I design a killer circuit, that I would like to include in multiple projects, it's a pain in the a** to have to re-draw the schematic and re-place the components.

I can do this in an EAGLE library file by exporting the file as a script, then editing the script file, then importing it into another lbr file, but not with schematics and board files.

Help!
By NleahciM
roach wrote:Does anyone know of a way to copy all or part of one schematic file into another schematic file in EAGLE? If I design a killer circuit, that I would like to include in multiple projects, it's a pain in the a** to have to re-draw the schematic and re-place the components.

I can do this in an EAGLE library file by exporting the file as a script, then editing the script file, then importing it into another lbr file, but not with schematics and board files.

Help!
Select the group by drawing a box or polygon around it, then click on 'cut' then right click on the group. Next - open up schematic you want to copy it into and hit paste.
By roach
NleahciM wrote:Select the group by drawing a box or polygon around it, then click on 'cut' then right click on the group. Next - open up schematic you want to copy it into and hit paste.
I get an error: "Paste Buffer is Empty!". I think this only works when copying a group within the same schematic. I'm using the free version of EAGLE, so maybe this has something to do with it...
By JonChandler
Cutting and pasting in Eagle is the most confusing thing to do! I have to go through the steps more than once almost every time I try! The following steps work for pcb layout but I think they'll work with a schematic too.

1. Select the group. This will highlight everything included.

2. Select CUT and right-click on the group.

3. Select paste.

If you want to paste into a different project, follow the above steps, then close the first project and open the second before pasting.
By roach
JonChandler wrote:If you want to paste into a different project, follow the above steps, then close the first project and open the second before pasting.
This doesn't seem to work either. One thing I noticed is that I'm not using the "projects"-based explorer in the EAGLE control panel. I just double-click on the .sch or .brd files in Windows Explorer, and they open in EAGLE.

The reason I don't use the EAGLE explorer is because I want to store all my projects on a seperate USB key drive, and EAGLE always buries them somewhere in the Program files/EAGLE/projects directory (inconvenient). Is there some config changes I can make in EAGLE to change this?
By Kuroi Kenjin
Be careful of storing everything on a jump drive. I did that and my wallet fell off a shelf on to it. The jump drive turned into a brick, and I lost most of the semester's work on my group's Senior Design project, my other group's VLSI chip, and various other projects, papers...etc.

It took me a few weeks to redo everything. So back it up often!

(Just a word of caution.)
By NleahciM
roach wrote:
JonChandler wrote:If you want to paste into a different project, follow the above steps, then close the first project and open the second before pasting.
This doesn't seem to work either. One thing I noticed is that I'm not using the "projects"-based explorer in the EAGLE control panel. I just double-click on the .sch or .brd files in Windows Explorer, and they open in EAGLE.

The reason I don't use the EAGLE explorer is because I want to store all my projects on a seperate USB key drive, and EAGLE always buries them somewhere in the Program files/EAGLE/projects directory (inconvenient). Is there some config changes I can make in EAGLE to change this?
I just attempted this - and it worked perfectly. We both gave you the same instructions, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. Oh, and I'm running off of a thumbdrive as well, though normally I run off of a computer.
By roach
I figured it out. Of course I was doing something wrong...

Here's the step-by-step (in case anyone else asks).
1) Open your schematic (doesn't work on board layouts).
2) group the objects you want to copy
3) click "cut". Right click on the group you just created (or just click "go").
4) Open the schematic you want to paste to BY CLICKING THE "OPEN" BUTTON ON THE TOOLBAR OF THE SCHEMATIC EDITOR.
5) click "paste".

I was variously:
- opening two schematics in two seperate instances of the Schematic editor
- opening the "from" schematic, copying, closing the schematic editor, then opening the "to" schematic, and trying to paste.

neither of which works. The paste buffer is specific to the instance of the schematic editor you have open, so if you close it, you lose it.

Thanks for all your help and patience, guys! This will save me a ton of inconvenience int he future.