SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By peskywinnets
Things I can think of to hamper my work being ripped off...

1. Reflowing 1206 components upside down (won't stop 'em, but at least it'll give them some heartache!)

2. Removing ID marks from ICs (but how to do this quickly?)

3. Spraying the post populated board with some form of masking 'opaque' spray (but what?)

4. Lastly, encapsulating in rock hard black epoxy (a bit unreversible....but the sum total of the components is cheap & therefore if one comes back for repair...simply replace with a new one)

Any other top tips?
By Blackfin
peskywinnets wrote:Things I can think of to hamper my work being ripped off...

1. Reflowing 1206 components upside down (won't stop 'em, but at least it'll give them some heartache!)

2. Removing ID marks from ICs (but how to do this quickly?)

3. Spraying the post populated board with some form of masking 'opaque' spray (but what?)

4. Lastly, encapsulating in rock hard black epoxy (a bit unreversible....but the sum total of the components is cheap & therefore if one comes back for repair...simply replace with a new one)

Any other top tips?
If you have programmable devices, blow the security fuses so they can't be read.

Delete the silkscreen identifiers for things like resistors, capacitors and the like.

Be aware, though, that these sorts of measures will not stand up to fierce reverse-engineering. Think of them like a "Club" for the steering wheel of your car: It's a deterrent to the casual observer peering in the windows but if a pro really wants your car, they're going to take it.
By ribbotson
I'm cautious about such a introspective and protectionist approach.

The best is to attack the market, and survive through agility, good support and strong reputation.

Even IP protection has problems and huge costs.

Many innovative open source HW and SW suppliers are successful against those who copy. Put your energy there
By Nakor
Yeah I had wondered about that myself but I rather feel it goes against some of my core beliefs. Also, I think it's better to dedicate my resources to constantly coming up with new things (or improvements). If they steal from me I'm likely a step or two ahead anyway.
By macegr
The idea of what your device DOES is usually more important than the small detail of implementation. I doubt you've designed something that would give pause to someone trying to redesign from scratch a clone of your device.
By busonerd
If your device is sufficiently novel / popular - you can't stop the copycats.

Removing IC markings isn't a deterrent to a determined cloner - they'll just throw the part in fuming nitric; strip the package; then get the manufacturer / part code from the die itself.

--David Carne
By Liencouer
peskywinnets wrote:4. Lastly, encapsulating in rock hard black epoxy (a bit unreversible....but the sum total of the components is cheap & therefore if one comes back for repair...simply replace with a new one)
As one who likes to take things apart, this is the most irritating to me. It's much more difficult to figure out what everything is when you break half of everything getting it apart. Note: much more difficult. Not imposable. If I've got a couple, I can usually get where I want to go. Not that I have a desire to duplicate everything (or anything?) that I rip apart... more of a curiosity thing.
By peskywinnets
All points duly considered - thanks.

To be honest, this product isn't novel product and doesn't have mass market appeal - just a specific niche - but many have tried & failed to make a decent one - I've spent the best part of a year on it in my spare time myself - but I now have a good working solution.

I'd considered a patent, but to be truthful it makes my head/wallet hurt wrt all the global coverage you'd need (someone ought to sort that out - what's the point of a UK patent if someone can simply copy what I've done & sell it the USA, or europe etc?) ...so next best thing is just to make it totally hell to try & copy (eg within the hard epoxy have a couple of thin linking wires which will sever if the expoxy is broken up - perhaps the odd spoof component...which serves no purpose at all etc)