SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
Hi all,

I'm thinking of dissecting my MadCat wireless (non-360) XBox controller, to use as a potential remote control for an ATmega128.

I know the controller is basically a glorified USB controller, so if someone's done this before, can you give any pointers/tips?
By roach
Looks like the receiver has standard USB pinout (+5,D+,d-,GND), plus some additional pin that noone seems to know what it does (clock?, +12V?). It looks like what I need is some sort of USB host device.

Anyone written USB host code for atMega? :wink:
By Kuroi Kenjin
On the Wired XBox controller, this is the 12V line for the rumble motor.

This maybe the same things (although lower voltage with a smaller motor).
By roach
That seems to be the consensus. Basically, the way the wirless version works is the same as the wired version. I would presume that the 12V line on the receiver (the part that plugs into the actual xbox) send some signal to the controller, telling it to fire the rumble vibrators.

Anyhoo, I'm not interested in rumble supprt. I basically just want to take advantage of the ergonomics of the controlelr (as well as the multiple buttons and analog joysticks).

After taking apart the receiver, it looks as though the actual receiver module is soldered on to a seperate board. Possibly seperating the signal-receiving functionality from the usb level converter / xbox signal encoding functionality.

Possibly, if I remove the wireless receving unit from the rest of the board, I could have a starting point...

...of course, all the actual ICs are covered in blobs of black epoxy, so I have to work without data sheets.