SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By fll-freak
There are no gyroscopic devices that can independently give you heading information
If you limit yourself to mechanical gyros, this is likely true. If you allow for ring laser gyros, and some top end MEMS sensors you can in fact get a reference to true north. With a fixed nailed down location, you can sense the earth rotate out from under you and derive true north. This is not something any of SFE's device are capable of, but it is quite possible.
By jeroen3
In an iPod touch and an iPhone you find an accelerometer
With the small and free app AccSim you can read the raw values (G's) and plot a graph on your pc.
http://www.brianhpratt.net/cms/index.php?page=accsim

Nice thing if you want to know how sensitive it needs to be. My iPod had +- 3g.

You iPhone also carries an GyroScope, there must be an app for that to find :P
By anode
Hi all,

I have a question regarding orientation acquisition.

I'm pretty familiar with accelerometers and gyros, so I know that gyros help to compensate for accelerometer measurements as gravity is not the only acceleration measured on a mobile platform. Even so, yaw information is still unreliable since nothing compensates for the gyro's integration error build up. So, this is where magnetometers come in.

What I would like to know is, if an accelerometer-magnetometer combo is good enough to determine the orientation of a platform that is constrained to 3 degrees of rational freedom, meaning the platform does not experience any form of translational movement.

It would be fine if one can place the sensors exactly at the intersection of the 3 rotational axes. But that's practically near-impossible, which means the accelerometers will pickup accelerations other than gravity when the platform rotates.

Does this then mean that gyros are an absolute must to get orientation information?
By anode
anode wrote: What I would like to know is, if an accelerometer-magnetometer combo is good enough to determine the orientation of a platform that is constrained to 3 degrees of rational freedom, meaning the platform does not experience any form of translational movement.
Pardon the double post but there's a spelling error in my last post and I couldn't edit the post.

I meant "...constrained to 3 degrees of rotational freedom".
By jpskaap
Hi guys

Does anyone know how to keep and accelerometer level when trying to measure the vertical acceleration say in an ocean wave environment, given that the accelerometr is mounted in a buoy of some sort?
By Bermerlin
Hello, this is a specific question for sebmadgwick, relative to the article "An efficient orientation filter for inertial and inertial/magnetic sensor arrays".

In the MARG implementation, a correction is proposed for the gyro bias drift, but not in the IMU implementation. Is this because it is not applicable for the IMU, or would it be useful to make this correction also in this case?
By sebmadgwick
Bermerlin wrote:... a correction is proposed for the gyro bias drift, but not in the IMU implementation. Is this because it is not applicable for the IMU, or would it be useful to make this correction also in this case?
It was a while since I did all that so I can't go in to too much detail off the top of my head. The method used to achieve integral feedback requires the orientation estimate to be of the 'complete orientation' (not just pitch and roll components); therefore it is only applicable to the AHRS arrangement (MARG).

I currently use a far more elegant solution which is essentially a quaternion implementation of Mahoney's DCM filter combined with the magnetic distortion compensation algorithm from my own algorithm. It incorporates integral feedback for both IMU and AHRS implementations. A basic version (C code only) is available for download from the same location as the report. If there is demand, I can publish my more 'advanced' version perhaps along with some documentation.
By fenestren
Hi,

I'm Luca, an Italian student.
I'm looking for info about magnetometer calibration.
I have just looked at x-io Matlab code and I'm here to ask if it could be feasible, in your opinion, to extend the calibration algorithm to the case of a gain modeled as symmetric matrix (to take into account the Soft Iron distortion), instead of a vector.
Furthermore, did you make experience with constrained attitude angles? (e.g. yaw = [0, 360], pitch = [-20,+20] and
roll = [-15,+15] typical for an RC car)
I'm testing some algorithms implemented on Matlab and I'd like to have your opinion about that, please.
If you could also provide raw measurement data in such constrained conditions, I'd like to share with you the results of my tests.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Luca.
By Douglas E Knapp
I am making a device to track what a gun is pointing at. I need to be able to read hand vibrations and gross movements. I can assume a starting position that is pointing at the target and then want to track changes until the gun is fired. What is not clear to me is, should I use a 1g or 3g acc and for the gyros, what sensitivity is best? Also I keep hearing about the build up of errors but no one ever says how fast that becomes a problem. Are we talking 1/100 of a second or minutes or maybe even hours?

Also, why use an acc and a gyro? Why not just use 2 sets of accelerometers at fixed distance apart and know orientation to each other? For example a 3 axis device at one end of the barrel and another at the other end? Would this not be just as good as the acc and gyro combo?

Thanks all!

Douglas
By Mee_n_Mac
Douglas E Knapp wrote:I am making a device to track what a gun is pointing at. I need to be able to read hand vibrations and gross movements. I can assume a starting position that is pointing at the target and then want to track changes until the gun is fired. What is not clear to me is, should I use a 1g or 3g acc and for the gyros, what sensitivity is best? Also I keep hearing about the build up of errors but no one ever says how fast that becomes a problem. Are we talking 1/100 of a second or minutes or maybe even hours?

Also, why use an acc and a gyro? Why not just use 2 sets of accelerometers at fixed distance apart and know orientation to each other? For example a 3 axis device at one end of the barrel and another at the other end? Would this not be just as good as the acc and gyro combo?

Thanks all!

Douglas
Let me answer your questions first. I think, given what you'd mount to a firearm, that you could expect at least 30 seconds before the drift got too bad. It will depend on how well you zero out the biases beforehand and, of course, your part selection. And just how accurate an estimate of pointing you need (I'm guessing that's what you're after)

People use both because they measure different things and the fusion of their data can, if done properly, lead to a better result than one or the other alone. In your case I'd be a little worried that the relatively small accelerations would be "lost in the noise" (unless the shooter is a lot shakier than I am :lol: ) Also measured accelerations would result from both translation (up/down, right/left) as well as rotations of the gun. You'd have to know the geometry of the situation to try to separate them from each other. A gyro (in theory) doesn't care about the translations, it only responds to the rotations. Of course any translational motion would be lost with just gyros. With both you can remove the accelerations due to rotations (in theory if you know the geometry) and get the accelerations due to just translational motion.

For your application my 1'st thought is you'd get more info from a gyro package than a tri-axial set of accelerometers. You wouldn't get pointing accuracy but you would get a measure of steadiness, flinch, trigger control, etc. In theory I guess 2 sets of accel's could do the trick as well but again you'd have to know the geometry precisely and you'd now have 6 biases to null out. FWIW all of the above would only get you (at best) a pointing relative to the starting pointing. Any error in that initial position results, directly, in an error in your final pointing estimate.

May I ask ... if you're interesting in measuring pointing accuracy (again my guess @ your desired end result) why not measure it directly via some optical system. Just one way would be to mount a standard laser aiming aid and watch the target with a camera of some sort. Tracking the dot would be easy. A small camera mounted to the gun (I've seen it done w/shotguns) would work too. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

BTW would you be using this for handguns or long guns or both ?

EDIT : I kept thinking "Knapp" and shooting and it finally came to me that that's Tom Knapp. Any relation ?
By Mee_n_Mac
jeremaya wrote:hi everyone,
i want to measure the roll angle of a car (the movement of the car is slow),
what is the best sensor to measure this angle?
thanks
If by "movement of the car is slow" you mean it's speed is unchanged during the time you want the roll angle, then 2 accelerometers should work. You use them to measure the tilt (roll) of the car with respect to the Earth's gravity. If the ground is level then that's also the roll angle of the car. Now you'll have to know the cars speed and radius of the turn (I'm assuming the roll is being induced by cornering forces) because the accelerometers will be measuring acceleration due to both that cornering force and the roll of the car rotating some portion of the Earth's gravity into and out of the accel's frame of reference. I don't know offhand how to best correct the estimate but I think it's do-able.

Alternately you could measure the distance from some fixed reference point to ground on both sides of the car (? ultrasonic sensors perhaps ?). So long as the majority of the suspension travel is due to the (steady) cornering force (and not due to bumps and dips) you could figure out the roll angle directly using geometry, independant of any speed changes and w/o having to compute the cornering force.
By mmsf212
I am wondering what type of sensor I would need to sense the direction that a CNC toolhead is moving if it was mounted in a fixed position on the toolhead. Assuming it was mounted in a rigid way, it would not tilt while moving, so what type of sensor would possibly work to sense directional movement. The sensor would not be spinning... just fixed in place. Does my question make sense?
I would like to use this information to orient a toolhead in relation to the moving direction without messing with the gcode for a 4th axis.

The data will be fed into an arduino for moving a small servo based on travel direction.
Thanks for any advice. :)