SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By da_pim
Hi.
I've been thinking on connection the Trizium Evaluation Board - 50-Pin with GPS to a gumstix. It would certainly make a powerful basic assembly for many projects.

Any thougths on this?

Cheers
Pim
By leon_heller
I've got a Gumstix but haven't done much with it. What you want to do should be feasible.

Leon
By wheeler
I think it's a cool idea. You could make a cell-phone-remote-controlled robot with GPS feedback.

Hardware-wise it should be as straightforward as hooking the trizium/gps to anything else. I think on that particular board you have to do your own power supply, but you'll need one for the gumstix anyway. A serial line from the gumstix to the phone and another to the gps and you should be ready to code. The gumstix brings a couple of serial lines out with it's breakout board, so buy that, a gumstix, the trizium/gps, a battery, and prototype a regulator circuit and you're set.
By da_pim
Did anyone try something with the Trizium Board?
Any heads up?
By wittend
da_pim wrote:Did anyone try something with the Trizium Board?
Any heads up?
This should not be too difficult to do, and there are several approaches available. Since the GumstiX support SPI, I2C, and good old RS232, depending on what youu want to accomplish, you have a load of choices for communicating between the devices.

I am currently working with the embedded Python version of the GM862, and eagerly awaiting the GE864 (? the small true BGA packages) they have more IO... But I'm finding that the Python I2C module in what I have works well for many purposes - driving LCD's, toggling relays, logging to external eeprom. 100kHz is plenty for many purposes, and the multidrop nature of the bus allows over 100 devices to be attached (in theory, of course).

I haven't worked with the I2c driver on the Gumstix, yet, but it is there and looks yseful.

dave