SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Baltasar
HI, I created a PCB for a new project using the Arduino mini Pro board, my question is:
should I use header pins to solder the Arduino board on my PCB or I can directly solder toghter (Arduino board straight on top of my PCB) just putting a drop of solder in each hole.

I have an LCD on top with just the distance of female and male headers so the lower I manage to have the Arduino better so it can't toutch for shure the back of LCD.

Here is a photo with a Arduino using header pins:

Thanks.
By StigOE
You risk shorting tracks on the mini pro to tracks on your 'motherboard' if you don't use header pins. Besides, are you sure that you would get a good connections between the boards? And it also looks like your battery holder is higher than the mini pro, making it a higher risk of shorting something on the display.

Stig
By Baltasar
Thanks for sharing your opinion, I think you are right.

I was only trying to see a away of lowring the LCD so the tactile switchs can reach the box panel.

Here I can't find anywhere caps to fit those switchs so they can be a bit higher and I'm allready using 17mm ones.

Anyone know from where I can find those or can share some ideia to make the switch pole longer?

Thanks.
By StigOE
Baltasar wrote:Anyone know from where I can find those or can share some ideia to make the switch pole longer?
You can use thin aluminium rods cut to length, use superglue and glue them to the switch poles. If you have access to a lathe, you can make them whatever diameter you want and can get flat ends. That's what I've done on a couple of occasions.