SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
I'm trying to develop a "bus board". Basically a board with a bunch of 64-pin Female edge-connector sockets in parallel. The overall idea is to create a sort of motherboard environment, where individual daughterboards could just be slotted in, the way you would install a PCI card in your PC.

Has anyone seen decent, thru-hole female headers for this type of connection? I want the individual connectors to take up as little space as possible, length-wise, so a profile similar to PCI (with the funky edge-pads on the male connector) would be ideal.

thanks!
By leon_heller
I use DIN41612 connectors for that sort of thing.

Leon
By Vraz
How about 64 pin PCI Express x4 connectors. They are quite small (1mm pitch) but available in pin-thru and relatively inexpensive (under $1.50 at mouser). Never used one myself, but looks to fit your requirements.

https://portal.fciconnect.com/res/en/pd ... 018783.pdf
By roach
That's great, vraz! But it looks like the daughter "cards" have to have special "blade" edging. I wonder if GoldPhoenix can handle that for me?
By leon_heller
roach wrote:That's great, vraz! But it looks like the daughter "cards" have to have special "blade" edging. I wonder if GoldPhoenix can handle that for me?
Indirect connectors are a lot better.

Leon
By Vraz
But it looks like the daughter "cards" have to have special "blade" edging.
Is this for a production application or just a hobby project? If the latter than I doubt it matters. The bevel should not impact the mechanical integrity of the connection -- it will make the cards easier to insert. Anyway, you could add the bevel yourself via sandpaper or a belt sander.

One thing to be aware of is that GP is not going provide nice gold edge connectors with standard service (you have to pay extra). Instead, the fingers would be standard tin coated (same as any other pad). There may be long term reliability problems due to the gold PCIE contacts and the tin edge contacts (though again, probably not a big issue in a hobby situation).

The indirect connectors that Leon suggests avoid these kind of problems (the male/female are designed for proper mating, use the proper materials and geometry, etc) though with the tradeoff of being much larger and more expensive.
By roach
Looks like I'll be going with a 64-pin ribbon connector instead, but thanks for all the help!