SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By zalo
I recently purchased an Arduino Duemilinove and an 8 pin Picaxe Motor driver board: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8317

I have looked through the documentation ( http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/AXE023.pdf ) numerous times, and no matter what I try with the arduino, it will not have an effect through the board to the motor.

Could someone please show me exactly what wires go where, and then what signals I need to be sending through them?

Here's a poor drawing of one of the methods I've tried so far:

I hope I haven't shorted the board out or anything. I just want to be able to control the motor through the board.

If its relevant, I haven't made any modifications to the programming it came with (and the little switch is set to RUN).

Thanks.

EDIT: I was being retarded. The board is a stand-alone board, thus it can't be controlled via an arduino, and it needs to be programmed separately using a Picaxe controller cable thing.
Last edited by zalo on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By waltr
The motor board connections look correct according to the first diagram on the data sheet. However I can not figure how to control the motors from that data sheet. That is one of the worst data sheets I've ever seen. Maybe a direct call to SparkFun will get you the needed informatiom.
The Arduino does not correct. You need to use digital output pins not analog from the Arduino to the motor board. This you will need to find from the Arduino data sheet.
Since I have never used either product I can only go by the documents found on-line.
By anhingus
i have the L293D chip but not the board you are using.

the enable pin of the chip needs to be hi [5v] for the chip outputs to work.

pin 1 hi allows pins 3,6 to output
pin 9 hi allows pins 11,14 to output.

check the voltage level on whatever enable pin you need to use.

if that's good, substitute your motor with a buzzer or 5-volt lightbulb and see if you get noise or blinky-blinky.

TI L293D datasheet available on the web and might give you an idea of what you are dealing with.
By zalo
I'm thinking about bypassing the whole Picaxe thing altogether, and going with the plain ol' motor driver chip.

Regardless, I (stupidly) payed $15 for the darn thing, so I'm determined to get it to work.

I'll send an E-mail to Sparkfun, thanks guys (I just hope I don't need to get a Picaxe programming thingy...)