SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ROJO
So, I've got a SerAccel v4 and am getting good data out of it in Hyperterminal. However, I would like to log this data so I could import it into a program such as MATLAB (even Excel would work) so I can plot the data I'm getting. However, using the Text Capture function in hyperterminal, I just get a *.txt file with all the data strung together with no columns or anything that helps divide it up and make it importable. Does anyone have a good way to get the data logged in a cleaner fashion that is importable to another program? Thanks
By Kuroi Kenjin
I kind of hate to say this, but have you ever written a program for a computer? I find the best way to do this is just write your own interface program. Now that Microsoft actual has something new for free Visual C# 2005 with .net 2.0, it's not that bad. The new .net 2.0 framework now has a serial port class in it which seems to be very easy to use. If you program in C, then C# is pretty simple to learrn (more so if you know C++). This way you can just read from the serial port and write it to a file in a format you want and even display it on a window form.
By ROJO
Not since high school java class.....all my programming since then has been in either PLC ladder logic or assembly code for microcontrollers. I'm not afraid to program in C (I have in the past) I was just hoping to avoid it.
By Kuroi Kenjin
What format do you need it in? I'm very gonzo with programming, and I may be able to help.
By ROJO
I actually got it sorted out. I ended up doing a .csv import with custom fixed width columns into excel. Took some fooling around with various delimiters and the like, but this got it worked out, and tada! a crappy matlab graph!:

http://thrice.made2own.com/~ilovesc/score.jpg

thanks for your help anyways!
By Kuroi Kenjin
Nice. Much better looking than the ones simple ones I had to do for various classes.