SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ROJO
So, I'm kinda new around here (1st post), and thought I would post about my project and see what feedback you folks could give me.

Basically we need a sensing platform, that ideally is 6 DOF, and has a very high shock and impact survivability (perfect world it could withstand a 5000g impact), but should be able to sense accelerations in the <30g range. The gyros are not a necessary feature, but it would be nice (they aren't needed to meet minimum requirements for this project). Wireless range should be approx. 100m and we want it to stream the sensor data (preferrably calculated G data) to a logging program on a laptop.

Perfect world, the SFE 6 DOF v2 package would be used, but it seems the the Tri-Axis accelerometer it uses is woefully weak for shock loads in excess of its sensing range. We ordered the SerAccel v4 to play around with for the time being, and are looking at the BlueSmirf modems for transmission.

A few questions I have for your consideration:

1) On the BlueSmirf Tx/Rx pins, what kind of data should they be sent? If we wanted to hook up two of the SerAccel v4 packages to get our 3-axis accelerometer data (or, two of the 2-axis sensors the v4 uses), would we need a PIC to actually read the data from both into a BlueSmirf? (I assume so)

2) What is involved/needed if we need to program our own PIC? I have experience in assembly coding a Motorala HC12 microcontroller for an autonomous robot, but that's about it. Is it a reasonable undertaking to program our own PIC to get take the data from 2x 2-axis accelerometers and 3 gyros and send it to a BlueSmirf modem?

3) What is a good way to log the data we would be recieving over the COM port? Is there anyway to say, import such logged data into a program to integrate the data to get position information (I think I sould be able to do this in MATLAB/Simulink, but I'm not entirely sure)

Thanks in advance and pardon and n00bishness.