SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Kuroi Kenjin
What schematic software does everyone use?

Does anyone know of a good (free?) schematic software?

I'm getting rather sick of trying to do nice looking schematics in Pspice 9.1 evaluation/student. It's not very easy to add new parts when needed, and most of the parts that are used (resonators, PICs, buzzers, electrolytic capacitors...etc.) then there is all the hiding, adding, and re-doing of various lables...etc.
By JonChandler
TinyCAD works well and is free.

It makes netlists that can be imported into EagleCAD for laying out boards.

Find it here:

http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/
By Kuroi Kenjin
Cool, thanks all. I'll probably try them out. I also stumbled over one I downloaded the demo for (250 pin limit on the pcb layout). DipTrace. It's got PCB layout, Schematic, Component Editor (pretty easy to use), and Pattern Editor (haven't looked at that yet). Comes with lots and lots of components, many Analog Devices (AD59X-XXX), Microchip (PIC16Cs only), Maxim.....etc.

Once I get some spare time, I'll definately try some of those.
By SOI_Sentinel
One last thing, as I see you have a Linux box: gEDA.

http://geda.seul.org/

Capable (with the companion software) of just about anything. Does NOT play well with Windows even with Cygwin, but I'm using it on Colinux just fine, although I'm still learning.
By Philba
if you are planning on making PCBs, use a package that allows you to make changes to the schematic and not have to start over on your board. Vraz learned that just recently when he added a bypass cap - with eagle it was easy..
By Kuroi Kenjin
DipTrace does that, but I haven't messed around with it yet. I don't know why, I guess I just don't trust it to put components where I'd like them, such as connectors near the board edges. Since all my projects are now dead in the water (no job = no $ = no fun-projects), I'll probably begin to play with all these programs and the features that make them cool.

Thanks everyone, again. ^_^
By Philba
hey sparky, could you please ban this spammer?
By roach
The only thing I don't like about EAGLE (free version) is that you can't make more than 2-layer boards (not really a problem), and you can't make boards larger than 4" tall by 3" wide. Forget about trying to make one 3" tall by 4" wide, it won't work.
By Philba
so you think they should give the unlimited version away for free? I'm still amazed at the free version.

3x4 vs 4x3???? uh, you were just kidding, right?
By roach
Philba wrote:so you think they should give the unlimited version away for free?

Yes :)
Philba wrote:uh, you were just kidding, right?

Yes :)
By TSPRAP
The free version of EAGLE is awsome! I'm thinking about buying the $50 version so I can make money off some of the boards I make....and sell. The only thing I wish EAGLE would do is be able to make euro card boards with the $50 dollar vesion.....or even better the free one! The reason I like the euro card capabilities because Olimex's smaller panel is euro card. (sorry SparkFun/BatchPCB but for a buch of boards I would deal directly) Don't get me wrong BatchPCB is #1 for one-offs or a single prototype. The price is awsome.