SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Chlazza
st2000 wrote:Regardless, this is the type of breakout board I would be looking for. On that routes the connections through allowing me to do what I want between the iPod and the iPod appliance (i.e. maybe I'll add a 5 volt source so as to be able to use my iPod Touch on an old iPod only appliances. And believe me I have plenty of them!).
Have you seen this site yet? It sounds like the Type W or Type Ws adapters on that page would be ideal for your purposes.
By st2000
Chlazza wrote: Have you seen this site yet? It sounds like the Type W or Type Ws adapters on that page would be ideal for your purposes.

That's perfect!

That's also $60 bucks!

Before scrolling down I envisioned a $30 price tag and wondered if it would be worth it. So you can guess where $60 leave me.

In short: I have about 5 iHome iPod appliances (that's 5 x $60 = $300) that have iPod firewire charging only on the 30 pin iPod connector and USB charging on the old iPod Shuffle connector. Inside the iHome is a beefy LM3905 regulating the 5 volts. So no problem w/power. All I really need is a "abbreviated" "stubby" break out board to go between the appliance and the iPod. The only other cable needed is a short 5 inch USB cable to tap into the iHome's 5 volt "shuffle" supply.

I can not justify spending $60 as that approaches the price for a new appliance that *can* charge an iPod Touch.

From your experience, what would be the price of the parts for such a board? Never mind the USB cable (If you don't have one ready to be cut laying around you are not a hacker. Now go out and get one!). Looks like I'm talking about a (thinner) board (using your "other" batch board house that is) less than a square inch and a male plus female 30 pin iPod connector.

(Note to self (and anyone else listening), don't forget to include the resistor matrix on the PCB to fool the iPod into charging using the 5 volt line.)

-thanks

Hummm.... after all that blabbering, I think this is what I want:
(same place, different part)
...at $25 it will probably be hard to justify building the above break out board. It surely has some sort of way to convert 12V to 5V. I am hoping for buck converter (negligible heat generated) but would settle on a linear IC regulator chip (will generate heat / waste power).

Hummm, Hummm.... Gee, now that I know not to call it a "thing-a-ma-jig", I can find similar items on Amazon for less then $20. Decisions Decisions...
By Chlazza
st2000 wrote:That's perfect!
That's also $60 bucks!
*wince*
Yeah. Yeah, it is.
st2000 wrote:Before scrolling down I envisioned a $30 price tag and wondered if it would be worth it. So you can guess where $60 leave me.

In short: I have about 5 iHome iPod appliances (that's 5 x $60 = $300) that have iPod firewire charging only on the 30 pin iPod connector and USB charging on the old iPod Shuffle connector. Inside the iHome is a beefy LM3905 regulating the 5 volts. So no problem w/power. All I really need is a "abbreviated" "stubby" break out board to go between the appliance and the iPod. The only other cable needed is a short 5 inch USB cable to tap into the iHome's 5 volt "shuffle" supply.

I can not justify spending $60 as that approaches the price for a new appliance that *can* charge an iPod Touch.

From your experience, what would be the price of the parts for such a board? Never mind the USB cable (If you don't have one ready to be cut laying around you are not a hacker. Now go out and get one!). Looks like I'm talking about a (thinner) board (using your "other" batch board house that is) less than a square inch and a male plus female 30 pin iPod connector.

(Note to self (and anyone else listening), don't forget to include the resistor matrix on the PCB to fool the iPod into charging using the 5 volt line.)

-thanks
At least $150, if making only one or two.
The issue is the board fabrication in small quantities - pretty much all fab houses charge an arm and a leg for short runs. Usually this is fine because most companies that order prototypes are going to come back later and drop half a million on 100,000 boards - a couple hundred to make sure they got the design right is nothing. Not so great for us hobbyist types, however.
That's the beauty of BatchPCB: the boards may all have HASL finishing, only allowed to have two sides (I think they stopped doing four layer?), and take a month to arrive but my prototypes ranged from $10 to $15. At that price I'll gladly force connectors onto a board of the incorrect width.
st2000 wrote:Hummm.... after all that blabbering, I think this is what I want:
(same place, different part)
...at $25 it will probably be hard to justify building the above break out board. It surely has some sort of way to convert 12V to 5V. I am hoping for buck converter (negligible heat generated) but would settle on a linear IC regulator chip (will generate heat / waste power).

Hummm, Hummm.... Gee, now that I know not to call it a "thing-a-ma-jig", I can find similar items on Amazon for less then $20. Decisions Decisions...
:)
Good luck in your search!