SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Yes0
I've got this accelerometer hooked up to an Arduino, as shown here. I get readings for all three axises, but the problem is they don't seem accurate - they fluctuate from around 375-550, even when the accelerometer isn't moving at all. I do have .1 uF caps in between the accelerometer outputs and the Arduino. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
By leon_heller
Those analogue output accelerometers don't work very well on breakout boards, I've found, the long connections cause the ADC to pick up too much noise. I didn't have any problems when I mounted the accelerometer chip very close to the ADC inputs of the AVR I was using.

Why have you put capacitors in series with the outputs?
By Yes0
Awesome, this seems to be working better now. When sitting still, the data is always clustered within 20 units of each other. But I'm still a little confused by it - when I move it along one axis the data changes, but it seems kind of random in how it changes. Sometimes it drops a hundred units, other times it gains a hundred units. When I stop moving it, it'll go a couple dozen units back towards the original resting reading, but it doesn't actually return there. Is this normal? Should I just be testing for a change in readings, and then watch for when the readings stabilize to determine when I'm moving and when I've stopped?

Thank you!
By leon_heller
You can't move it smoothly enough by hand to get stable readings, to check it properly you need some way of clamping it in one position. You can then check the values, rotate it slightly, clamp it, and check the values again, while it is stationary.