SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By yair
hi,
first of, i know... its not how its done, real strobes use xenon lightube. but this is art, just for the effect.

i was just wondering if some can help with a rough estimation of bulb life for this (hours? weeks? months?).
if the cycle will be ~20sec off then a flicker.

...__|on|______20sec_______|on|______20sec_______|on|___...

what can i expect to get from a regular bulb? i know expect it to be very demanding on the bulb.
as for the mechanism, i'll go for an arduino (or a 555) with a contact 220V relay (+ flyback diode).

thanks
By esklar81
yair,
  1. I agree with lyndon's suggestion.
  2. Frankly, if someone asked me to develop an accelerated lifetime test for an incandescent bulb, I just might start with the cycle you've chosen. :wink:
  3. If you use a bulb rated for a higher voltage than you are going to run, you should get a bit more life.
  4. How long is the flicker? If it's short enough to keep the bulb from getting to its equilibrium temperature, that might help.
  5. Why, if at all, does this need to be an incandescent bulb? Unless you intend people to see the filament, why not use an LED in disguise? That would increase the tolerance of rapid cycling and decrease the power you need to switch. You might also be able to enhance the visual effect by placing several LEDs in a single translucent bulb and firing them in a pattern.

Good Luck,
Eric
By yair
the filcker will be momentery, and the use of led is not an option. the lightbulb should be visible and "naked"
great advice, i'll go get a solid state relay
By mikeselectricstuff
Ramp-up time will be faster, input current surges lower and lifetime much longer if you 'simmer' the lamp when 'off' - run it a low power just below where it emits significant visible light.
This is a common facility on stage lighting dimmers.
If using an SSR, all you need is a mains frequency reference to do phase-angle dimming to achieve this. Or a simpler option may be to just put a power resistor across the relay to got the simmer current - viability of this (in terms of heat dissipated in the resistor) will depend on the lamp power.
By yair
haven't heard of simmering, outside of cooking.

i *think* this correlates to something i was thinking of
hacking a light dimmer to switch between two output currents.
one very low (simmer?) the other, as bright as i want it.

the yellow/red wires are connected to a 100k pot, which control the output.
replace with two set resistors. ftw?

http://www.ubasics.com/adam/electronics ... econ.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.