SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mchamran
Hi,

I have an application where I want to log binary data from a serial device. The OpenLog seems like a nice option, but I'm not sure if it also works with binary data. If you could let me know I'd really appreciate it. The binary data comes in from a serial port so I can't imagine there being a problem but I still wanted to ask.

Thanks,
-Hamid
By cpix
... as OpenLog will respond always to an escape-char (standard is: 3 times ^z) you need to make sure that this specific character is not present in your binary data. Otherwise, it will drop into Command Mode and the rest of your data will be lost.

OpenLog allows you to set the esc-char as well as the number of times this char has to occur before dropping into command mode. You can choose a combination which is highly unlikely to occur in practice, however, it's still a kind of gambling as you might not know in advance which type of binary data you are actually sending to the OpenLog.

OpenLog is not really intended to function as a binary data logger.

An option would be to convert the incoming binary data to something OpenLog can digest without problems.

- cpix.