SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By sdavidow
I like the rotary cell phone project. I've got an idea of essentially reconfiguring a cell phone to a similar, or smaller object.

Reading some of the posts, it's adviced that I start smaller...but with what and where can I find that info? I'm fine technically with software, but not much experience with hardware. Where would you suggest I start?

Thanks...
By JonChandler
You might look at www.rentron.com. They have a lot of projects to help get you started. They're well-explained and easy to follow.

Start with the simple blinking LED projects because there are plenty of complications along the way. It may only take 5 minutes to make work....or it may teach you all kinds of little details that are so easy to overlook!

Jon
By sdavidow
Okay, after some further research, I've refined my question:
Where do I begin from point 0?

Where do I start? Do I pick up a breadboard and some wires and start creating circuits? Do I buy a Basic Stamp, ooPic or other board/starter kit and try interfacing with different sensors, lights or buzzers? Do I purchase a robotic kit and see where that takes me? Even trying to decide on Basic vs. ooPic, or Pic has me a bit overwhelmed.

So, I'm sure the question is: What is your goal?

Answer: Not entirly sure.

I like the idea of making a robot, reconfiguring my cell phone to another design, rewiring the lights in my house to opperate on sensors...but besides going back and getting my EE degree (all that circuit stuff didn't seem applicable at the time, but hey...I was 18)...

Background: I've got a degree in Math (yeah, left that Engineering program) and have been programming for many years, that stuff doesn't scare me. Some of the starter kits out there seem either too simple, or too categorized into either an advanced topic, or very narrow end result.

Do I pick up a starter kit board and some sensors and figure out how to link the 2 together? Suggestions in that direction?

Sorry, newbe and spent some time researching and finding either very low level simple suggestions or again, very directionalized projects (hey, did I just make up a word?).

Thanks again...
By Kuroi Kenjin
I recommend with the sensors and stuff. Pick up a few simple sensors (even if it's a pot), some LEDs, breadboard, 5V regulator, programmer (if you go the PIC route, recommend the PIC-MCP-USB or and ICD2 if you really wanna get serious with PIC18's), compiler, and maybe and LCD. You'd be surprised what you can do with just that setup. Then from there, start brainstorming projects.

Right now I have a simple PIC16F877A and a 16x2 LCD hooked up to monitor my power supply voltages. Simple, and a good chunk of software (being a broke college graduate looking for a job who can't afford a C compiler with any libraries). Even a slightly larger project may not be so complex. Take a reflow oven (yeah I'm designing my own, updates on my website every weekend.). This is just a microcontroller, Thermocouple w/ amplifier (AD595 tells you how to hook it up), LCD, few buttons, and a relay is all you need. Add a buzzer if you wanna get fancy as I'm doing.

Put simply of what I'm trying to say is, Dig in. When you start just testing out various functions of a microcontroller, you'll get an idea which will give you direction.

Anyways, I've blabbed enough, and I hope I've helped a little.
By Bryan1
Hiya Sdavidow,
Eh mate if your new to pic microcontrollers you will need a basic knowledge of assembly before using a higher language like C. Check out http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/pic_tutorial.htm which is Nigel Goodwin's site. This tutorial series is inexpensive to do and will give you a great insight to pic's from an assembly point of view. He even has some programming software that was the first program to work on windows. Once you go thru the tutorials robots will be a breeze.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :D