SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Racetones
Hello all!

I'm looking for a small device that can playback a 60 second MP3 sound-clip. It has to be thin (1 inch or less), have a one-button play feature, and have an 3.5mm output to power a pair of powered NXT speakers. I'd prefer it to be ready-made due to the possiblilty (and hopefully) that the product will be in great demand.

Thanks for any and all help!

Keith
http://www.race-tones.com
By Maleche
I used the SOMO-14D. It can hold up to 255 files on a micro-SD memory card and play back shor or long audio files. Most files are easily converted. I have written a routine for the Arduino and posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21388
You can have any file or group of files play for a specific switch or contact. i.e. your robot speak or respond to a switch event.

The code is easily modified to work with whatever application you come up with. I send file commands remotely using Xbee or through a PC serial connection.

Enjoy!
Doyle M.
By gmarsh
I recently built new guts for a Staples "Easy Button", consisting of:

- Atmel ATTiny45 AVR (code fits in a Tiny25)
- Numonyx M25P16 SPI flash (2 megabytes)
- TI TPA701 speaker amplifier.

Everything runs directly off the 2 alkalines.

The M25P16 holds 8-bit PCM audio at a 31.25KHz sample rate, which gives 67 seconds of audio. The ATTiny45 reads audio from the flash, does a stupid "add-shift-subtract" linear interpolation trick to up the sample rate to 125KHz and I'm PWMing it out with the high speed timer running at 32MHz. It actually sounds pretty decent, and was really cheap to put together - all parts are <$2.

This is probably a bit lower end than what you're looking for, but something to think about.
By Racetones
gmarsh wrote:I recently built new guts for a Staples "Easy Button", consisting of:

- Atmel ATTiny45 AVR (code fits in a Tiny25)
- Numonyx M25P16 SPI flash (2 megabytes)
- TI TPA701 speaker amplifier.

Everything runs directly off the 2 alkalines.

The M25P16 holds 8-bit PCM audio at a 31.25KHz sample rate, which gives 67 seconds of audio. The ATTiny45 reads audio from the flash, does a stupid "add-shift-subtract" linear interpolation trick to up the sample rate to 125KHz and I'm PWMing it out with the high speed timer running at 32MHz. It actually sounds pretty decent, and was really cheap to put together - all parts are <$2.

This is probably a bit lower end than what you're looking for, but something to think about.
It sounds very close to what I was thinking of although I'd like to get to 16 bit because the sound is going to be the selling point of this product. Now to the technical stuff (which I'm not so good at): Where did you purchase all these items. Can you send me pics of what you created and maybe a sound bite or two?? you can send it to "keith at race-tones DOT com.

Thanks,

Keith
http://www.race-tones.com
By gmarsh
Everything's packaged up right now and I'm not taking it apart to take pictures, and the best audio recording device I have nearby is a cellphone which won't really do it justice.

I think I said "all parts are <$2" in the last post which was vague, I should have said that each individual part costs <$2. Going with digikey prices:

ATTiny25-20SSU = $1.78/1, $1.19 qty 25
M25P16-VMN6P = $1.77/1, $1.60 qty 10
TPA701DGNR = $1.63/1, $1.28 qty 25.

In your case, since you want a 3.5mm output jack, you'll want to replace the TPA701 with something else. Going with 16-bit audio means you'll need twice the flash (4x for stereo) and a 16-bit DAC. You'll probably also need a more powerful micro, or at the very least one with more pins (ATTiny2313A?)
By Racetones
gmarsh wrote:Everything's packaged up right now and I'm not taking it apart to take pictures, and the best audio recording device I have nearby is a cellphone which won't really do it justice.

I think I said "all parts are <$2" in the last post which was vague, I should have said that each individual part costs <$2. Going with digikey prices:

ATTiny25-20SSU = $1.78/1, $1.19 qty 25
M25P16-VMN6P = $1.77/1, $1.60 qty 10
TPA701DGNR = $1.63/1, $1.28 qty 25.

In your case, since you want a 3.5mm output jack, you'll want to replace the TPA701 with something else. Going with 16-bit audio means you'll need twice the flash (4x for stereo) and a 16-bit DAC. You'll probably also need a more powerful micro, or at the very least one with more pins (ATTiny2313A?)

Thank you SO much for all the great info! :D

Keith