SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By docwisdom
Any product recommendations for encapsulating electronics for weatherproofing?

thanks
-brian
By awright
As happens sooooo often with these inquiries, you haven't told us ANYTHING about what you are trying to encapsulate.

Therefore, without knowing anything whatsoever about your project, I would recommend Dow Sylgard 184 silicone encapsulant. Info at:

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/power ... ault.aspif

Its huge advantage over epoxy encapsulants is that the circuit is repairable by cutting away the encapsulant with a knife to gain access to the area needing repair, making the repair, and pouring new encapsulant. This is in extreme contrast to epoxy that is normally impossible to remove for circuit repair.

Sylgard 184 is also water clear (like some epoxies) so you can see where the components are if repair is required. Its weather resistance is excellent.

awright
By Genesis
I have this application/need as well, but the circuit has to survive being under as much as 20 atmospheres of pressure (it will NORMALLY be dry but with up to 100% condensing RH in the atmosphere) and must also not be able to put of sparks if it faults (it will be in a hyperbaric environment which may have elevated O2 percentages in it)

An epoxy certainly appears to be called for in my case; I understand its not re-enterable but that's ok in this instance, as the circuitry that's going in "the cube" is inexpensive and if it fails the entire assembly can be chucked and replaced for $20 or so.
By powerondude
I've had good luck with the folks at epoxiesetc www.epoxies.com

If you call them and discuss your application the will suggest a compound and even send you a free sample.

-Mike