SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Azimon
Is there any program out there (not a huge commercial one) that will let me keep various BOMs of different PCBs on the one hand, and on the other hand component inventory stock?
By busonerd
I've been working on one in the pylons web development framework - if there's enough interest, I'll try and get it up on github. Its nowhere near complete or ready to use, but if people want to help develop one, I'll contribute what I've got.

--David Carne
By evarobotics
We've been looking at this as well and have come across a number of good small to medium size PLM/MRP type packages. But we are looking to pay for it.

What are you looking for in terms of budget / feature set? In other words... why aren't you using excel or some database tool?
By Azimon
evarobotics wrote:
What are you looking for in terms of budget / feature set? In other words... why aren't you using excel or some database tool?
Well, yes I could use Excel or hack out a database program (which I would consider great fun) and I have no doubt I could do it, and a good one. Just that I prefer not to spend the time if something is available (of course big packages which are an overkill are out of the question). I just thought these might be some light utility someone has already done along these lines. Actually, a website would be a nice idea. Free under X amount of BOMs, and small fee for more than that...
By evarobotics
Mmmmm...

I haven't come across anything like that which is not linked to some other function. For example I know of online BOM management tools but they are for managing quotes and orders from manufacturers, not for your own inventory management.

MYOB/Quickbooks can manage BOM's and builds but obviously they care about the financial aspects. Most dedicated software solutions will focus on the change control / quality system aspects. And really the starting price there is $20K. There is this one at $1K but I don't think you are looking for that. http://www.buyplm.com/

We do a lot of high value and complex projects and we still use Excel for the BOM's because everybody has it. Our suppliers can quote from it, we can export into financial packages and larger MRP systems, we can import it into online BOM builders at digikey/farnell etc.

Sorry.