SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Aggrav8d
Hi, Sparkfun!

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm interested in building an arduino-controlled steadycam. I want to make sure I get the right parts in a single order so I'm asking you for advice. I know I need

- an arduino board
- magnometer
- gyro
- Bluetooth (or preferably) WIFI connectivity at 300m
- stepper control

I'm not sure why I'd need accelerometer control but it seems to come in every package. Is that data I get for free for having a gyro?
Anyways, I think some NEMA 17 or NEMA 23s will do the trick.
I've been looking through your product catalog and I suspect the SEN-09623 is what I need. I'm guessing also WRL-09290 with an antennae attached. I haven't been able to find a stepper driver in your list that handles THREE steppers at once, though I have found a board that handles two (ROB-09571).

Please, Sparkfun, give me a hint. My credit card is burning a hole in my pocket.

Thanks!
By esklar81
Aggrav8d,
Please keep in mind that this Forum is (primarily) a community of users, not a sales support activity by SparkFun staff. As such, it behooves you to ask specific questions as they arise in your work, not ask for a turnkey solution.
Eric
By Aggrav8d
Hi, Eric.

It seems we disagree on our definitions.

I am asking if I am getting the right combination of parts to suit my work purposes, after which I will do all the development and software myself. I think a turn-key solution would be a ready made, off-the-shelf image stabilizer. (I know such things exist as I first obtained quotes starting at $3k)

I feel my question is quite specific. I doubt I'm the first person to tackle this issue as "image stabilization" is listed in the description for some of those parts. Why wouldn't I turn to the community of people who've probably tackled this same problem using the same parts and double check first? Surely the hivemind knows at least as much as the SparkFun staff on this subject.
By Aggrav8d
Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about. The only difference is that I'd like to use steppers to avoid the 180 degree threshold most servos have. Any thoughts on how I would do that?
By Aggrav8d
So at the risk of sounding stupid...

Can I put one SEN-09431 and three ROB-09402 onto the same arduino board?
I'm not going to run out of pins, am I?
Would I have room for anything else afterwards? I'm also looking to add at least to servos.
By SFE-Robert
Eh, you might. You can always use some sort of muxing or something. Honestly, the 9DOF would be your best bet. To communicate with the easy drivers you will need a 2 pins per stepper (DIR and STEP). Then you will need all your other pins for the sensors.
By Aggrav8d
I'm re-reading the docs for SEN-09431 and I notice it does NOT have a magnometer. I need that more than I need accelerometers.
Is there a board that has 3-axis magnometer and 3-axis gyro? I can't seem to locate one.
By SFE-Robert
Yeah, it's called the 9DOF :-)

Usually the magnetometer is the last 3 axes.

You can always get the boards separately as breakouts and read them on your own. But the 9DOF will do what you want.
By Aggrav8d
SEN-09623 has accelerometers and gyros but no magnometers. It's funny that there doesn't seem to be a boars with three gyros and thee magnometers. I could infer accel from there. Am I blind? Have I missed the board I'm looking for?
By SFE-Robert
nope, not blind. the board doesn't really exist (from us anyways). you will want all three for what you're doing though.

any reason you are trying to avoid the 9DOF?
By Aggrav8d
It just doesn't have what I need. Why buy something that gives me half of what I want, and a bunch of stuff I don't?
It's a fine board and I'm sure the UAV people love it to bits. Even they must realize they need a magnometer along with their gyros so that they can combine it with a GPS breakout for navigation.

I'm naively surprised more people haven't requested this feature.