SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By busonerd
Is where you are hot and dry? I'm wondering if the boards have gotten static-zapped. It's a long shot that you'd kill so many boards that way, but it might be possible if your workspace has a wool carpet and you live in the Sahara... or something.

--David Carne
By markaren1
Sorry of some of this has already been covered...

This may sound daft, but can you stick a voltmeter on AC between the uP board and the ground of the PC you are using. I have seen sparks (PSU leakage current from my PC) to items that are grounded (scope probe, surprised cat...).

Leakage current can be a pretty good way of killing things as you plug/unplug things.

If you are still killing boards, try adding grounds to everything and make sure that your ground pin connects where is should.

As David says, how about some photos.

Have you felt and static zaps in the immediate area ? Modern electronics can have it's life span significantly reduced after being clobbered with static, but it should make you jump if you are part of the discharge path.

Are you actually totally killing the whole CPU or are you clobbering the boot loader when things die ?

-Mark
By whoismaha
I don't know about your normal arduino but on the Pro's i usually have to hold reset down during upload, and release when it starts. Or i get the exact same error you posted. Same thing when using the FTDI cable on my Ardweeny's. The Arduino D* works fine with a normal USB cable but i've gotten that error when the com port was wrong (or in use by another program).
By motopic
Hi,

I use RBBB arduinos tool. Are you by chance using the USB-BUB from ModernDevice as well???

I get those 2 avrdude error messages as well, starting last weekend. The BUB worked for a while, but now ... nope.

When I use my sparkfun usb-ftdi it works fine.

I think the USB-BUB has probs. I will try to check mine. It powers and connects, just not program the device.

Finally, ESD doesn't have to be strong enough to make you jump to damage chips....