SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By madeinoz
G'day one and all,

I've decided to organise my geek area @ home, I have so many components, mostly small smd ones that I've bought for projects or samples I've ordered in. I would not have a clue what I've got and have probably double ordered things in the past. Before I head down the path of organising my components I would like to get some ideas of how others store and inventory your stock of geek goodies.

Any lightweight / low cost programs good for electronic component inventory tracking?

What is a good way of storing / labelling small components in an organised manner? drawers? packets?

Regards,

Stephen...
By waltr
I know the problem all to well. lol

I use small cardboard boxes about 1x5x12inches labeled and stacked on shelves for most parts. Other parts are in other size boxes like Sparkfun's small red boxes and SMD parts are in a few of those bins with a bunch of plastic draws.

For tracking inventory I just use Excel. I have a separate sheet for each part category. I also use this to list parts to buy.

Where I work we use Access for an inventory control system. If you can program Access then this can make a very good inventory system. I haven't learned Access therefore I just use Excel.

good luck