SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By phalanx
I posted this in the PIC forum but I figured it would also fit in here. The Luxeon III LEDs are now available through Sparkfun but most people will be hard pressed to spend $11 on a single LED. I originally posted this to give people an idea on how bright these things actually are. The pictures I'm posting are of a lower wattage version (1 watt instead of 3) and are still very intense. I have installed a number of white ones under cabinets to provide light on my counter. I prefer lots of small lights instead of one large one. Because of their size and intensity, they have tons on applications!

Original Post:
-------------------------------

In case you haven't noticed, Sparkfun now carries a 3 watt Luxeon LED. These are a lot of fun and are perfect for creative lighting solutions. I happen to have a few 1 watt red Luxeons that I have used in previous projects so this is to show you how bright they are. Please forgive the quality of the photos as they came from my cell phone.

Each mini board has two 1 watt luxeons in series.

Here you can see the luxeons along with my ICD2, dsPIC board, a motor controller board, and a 24bit precision A/D board.

This is a picture of the LEDs on one board turned on (2 luxeons in series at 0.35A - Luxeon IIIs use 1A!). The picture does not truely show how bright they are. You have to experience them for yourself! The blue, yellow, and white versions appear even brighter!

Quick question for Nathan. What colors do you stock the Luxeon III in? I know they have it available in almost every color including a number of shades of each.

I use Luxeons every now and again and until now I have purchased them directly from Lumileds (the manufacturer). Now that you carry them, I would much rather throw my money your way!

-Bill
By sparky
Bill - you again make me smile :) Thanks for those awesome pictures.

You really can't explain to people just how much these things burn your retinas until you blind them...

I will check with TerraLUX. I know they buy white in mass, but I'll see what colors they may stock.

Nuther note - do you mind if I use your photos on the new SFE site? I can include your email address if you want some extra spam :twisted:

-Nathan
By phalanx
I have no problem if you use the pictures so long as you host them so I don't get in trouble with Comcast! I just wish I had my real digital camera with me instead of the one built into my cell phone to get you some better quality pictures.

I already know what a number of posts by people looking for help with the Luxeons will be. Something to the effect of: "I hooked up my Luxeon to a pin on my PIC but it won't light up" or for someone who uses an external transistor "How come every time I turn on the Luxeon my PIC resets?" I can't wait! :D

If you post my email address, I'll have to hunt you down! :shock: :D
By Norman
Those links to the pictures are broken.
By phalanx
Try clearing your cache because they are appearing just fine on the 4 computers that are near me. Also make sure your firewall (if you have one) is not blocking out home.comcast.net .

-Bill
By Caffeine
I have a string of 20 of the 5W luxeons setup at work, good for searing images of passing people into the wall behind them :D

I also use the Osram DragonPucks (http://www.osram.com/products/led-syste ... npuck.html) which come in a much more usable package than the luxeons, but at about $120 AU each they're very expensive
By Bryan1
Hiya Guy's,
I've got 2 3watt lambertian style led's setup on my farm for night lights between the house and shed. Unforunately I don't have my digi camera anymore as it went for a swim :cry: . But it's around 50 metres from the house to the shed and 1 led at each end provides enough light to provide a path each evening. When I get my new camera I will show how I mounted the led's to keep them cool but basically I made up an aluminium box with an old computer fan on the back and I used the hv9910 converter chip as the basis of the electronics. The shed led is powered off my solar array and the house one is off a 12 volt wall wart supplied off the house inverter. All my neighbours want one now so when time allows it looks like I'll be one busy bloke.

Cheers Bryan :D