SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By NStone79
Anyone have some good tricks for the mechanical end of building prototypes?

I've just learned about using plastic tubing for motor to shaft connections which is a cool tip.

I have previously been using plumbers putty epoxy (i.e. Mighty Putty, but u can get better stuff at home depot for cheaper in the plumbing section) for alot of my stuff. It's awesome stuff, dries sandable & rock hard, and is usefull for much more than motor to shaft connections.

Another tip with power transmission is if you can get your motor attached to a hexagonal screwdriver bit, then that opens up a world of possibilities for transmitting power because of all the electric screwdriver/drill bits available U-Joints, flexshafts, set-screw collars (drillbit stop guides), etc. and it can handle lots of power/torque.

My current problem is how can I fab up a gear box. I have a bunch of gears from old RC cars, but Im struggling with how to mount them all & achieve the proper gear alignment & ensure they are all perpendicular. Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?

Someone should start a sticky with useful resources for fabing prototypes.
By markaren1
Buy a "height gage" - do a search on eBay

Buy a drill press and some bits

Buy Hand file and tin snips

Get some 18 ga ali sheet and some F-F 6-32 spacers and screws

Should be all you need to make simple gear box sides

Take a metal shop class - you will be amazed how usefull that will be.

Or maybe a meccanao kit ?

Regards,

Mark
By TheDirty
I think robot building has kinda died down now, but when I was playing with robosumo and light tracking and small bots, there were a lot of people fabricating gear boxes themselves. For small bots, gears were usually mounted between pieces of sheet plastic, like lexan. I think if you look for the robot mailing lists and the clubs, you mind find something.
By Arachnivore
If you're really ambitious, you could put together a rep-rap machine. I suppose if you're scavenging gears from old RC cars, you might no be ready to sink $400+ into a fabrication device. Since you are scavenging gears, make sure they have the same pitch or else thy won't thread together very well.