SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By beebop
Hello,

Well the break out board for my LCD arrived and I started to assemble it the same night. I wonder if anyone else here has used one. I'm not sure whether the main zif (LCD) connector is in the socket far enough or not. It is very small, and my eyes are not as good as when I was young! Is there any way to tell, before I go and solder the backlight connectors in place? Also, does the LCD just sit on the b.o.b., or is there anything I should know about mounting it? Any advice would be most appreciated!

I'm sure I could have found a zillion here in the electronics malls in Seoul, but I choose to buy from Sparkfun, because they are not afraid to share their toys. (There are some really great tutorials. The reflow oven one is awesome, but then the whole spark site is!) I'm sure most of you would love a trip to my toy store; the one I go to most of the time is a few square kilometers of electronics shops, and I know of two or three other places, but not as large. Some parts here are a lot cheaper, but some are way more expensive. (blah, blah, blah) ;-)

Thanks again,
Robert
By sparky
Hey Robert,

The ZIF connector for the LCD takes some feel and practice. You'll need to carefully slide the connector in till it seats. I obviously can't describe this in words so I better do some pictures at some one.

For now, leave the touch and BL connections open until you get the graphics going. Once that is proven, you can then solder stuff down.

-Nathan
By beebop
Thanks Nathan,

That sounds like sound advice. I think it'll be awile before I'm ready to use the LCD, though. I took the advice on the break out board order page, and snagged an LPC board. I just worked through that great tutorial on gnuARM, but I think there is a bit of a climb ahead. ':roll:' These things make PICs and AVRs seem easy!
Anyway, I'm going to put the thing back in the bag for a while and get these LPCs to show some life.

Thanks again for the help.
Robert