SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mpanetta
Has anyone here had experience with any companies that do flex PCB's? I am working on a project that needs a flex/rigid PCBA and unlike proto houses for regular PCB's places that do flex don't seem to be everywhere...

Anyone have any experience with flex PCB's? Anyone have tips on what to do to lower the cost of a Flex/Rigid design?

Thanks,
Mike
By motopic
I have used these folks for rigid, their site says they do flex(had to look deep)
http://www.eiconnect.com

They manuf here in the usa. I ran several pcb revisions from them, they are pretty good, easy to work with (ignore the reps). I never figure out why a shop with a internet presence needs a 'local rep' for ???

Also look at these folks site.
www.4pcb.com

caveat: I have not purchased from 4pcb yet, I also have not used flex yet.
supposedly in Colorado, and manufacture there as well. Hopefully they are not a front operation for china (I hate those kinds of shops).
By NleahciM
motopic wrote:I have used these folks for rigid, their site says they do flex(had to look deep)

They manuf here in the usa. I ran several pcb revisions from them, they are pretty good, easy to work with (ignore the reps). I never figure out why a shop with a internet presence needs a 'local rep' for ???

www.4pcb.com

supposedly in Colorado, and manufacture there as well. Hopefully they are not a front operation for china (I hate those kinds of shops).
4pcb = Advanced Circuits = schmucks
By UofMEShop
I have been pleased with 4PCB's $33 Special ($50 including shipping) (non-flex) : 60 sqr in, 2 sided with silkscreening and soldermask. If an educational order, they allow minimum qty of 1. $50 up charge for duplicates on that 60 sqr in.
By motopic
NleahciM wrote:
motopic wrote:I have used these folks for rigid, their site says they do flex(had to look deep)

www.4pcb.com

Haha, thats funny. Glad I didn't lose any money with them. Thanks for the tip!

eiconnect is technically very competant, but the owner has too much of a (asshatery) hand in daily ops. He spent a bunch of money on a website, so if I call up the nice lady who takes orders I can't get a lower price. Its insane. Its also important to know exactly which shipping option you are paying for...had to wait one time cause it came regular fedex.

But all our board development has been technically very good, and the first run checked out perfectly. We are very happy to buy American and keep business here.
By schult
NleahciM wrote:

www.4pcb.com

Why don't you like Advanced Circuits? This is the first time I've heard anybody make a negative remark about them.
By gussy
Once you have bought PCB's from someone like Gold Phoenix, you will laugh in the face of Advanced Circuits prices.
By mpanetta
schult wrote:
Why don't you like Advanced Circuits? This is the first time I've heard anybody make a negative remark about them.
I don't like them because the last couple of times I ordered from them they sent out to china, *and* the boards I got back look like someone sneezed all over the photomask, there were blobby shorts all over the board. Thank god it was only a 2 layer board and I could fix it by hand!
By mpanetta
buzzard192 wrote:Have you checked out Gold Phoenix?

http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php
Not yet, but I will.

I wonder if the unexpectedly high price I got quoted by the guys at pcbcart was due to the board being a flex/rigid assembly... I think I might be able to go all flex, but I don't know how well IC's *stick* to it...
By mpanetta
Oh and speaking of PCBcart... For those of you who want to try a new place, check them out. Their prices rock, and they don't charge extra for different color solder masks (I prefer black myself)!

I also understand that they don't charge extra (or at least the prices are still very good) to do circular boards. I personally have not done a round board with them yet, but I may at some point for a custom LED lamp...

Anyway, check them out if you get a chance. They have excellent prices, and I have never had an issue with them. The staff is friendly, and they will notify you of any inconsistencies in your gerbers that may affect production (like a check service) for free (unlike some other board houses).
By winston
I've used PCBcart too, had 10 x 4 layer boards off them. Great service, sent me a friendly email straight away when I forgot to put the outline gerber in the file, turned it around fast and the price was good. And best of all, the boards were all flawless (and electrical testing is free for 4+ layer boards).
By amaate
Hi,

I had visited the website of Gold Phoenix to get a quote. It says somewhere between $500 - $600 depending on my specifications. I thought these cost around a dollar.. So where did they come up with this number?
By Joeisi
I think they are basing it on a low production run (1copy) and a small panel. Also that it is a flex panel will shoot up the price. There are probably other reasons as well.
By Ross Robotics
I went to the companies posted here and they add a "tooling" fee. They want to charge from $150 for this. I use http://oshpark.com/ and they are very good on prices and don't charge additional fees, plus free shipping. OshPark is a fraction of the cost from other companies. But they only come in a dark purple.