SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By tswa
Please recommend an embedded platform.

Building a battery powered serial datalogger. It will be used to collect and time stamp serial data and later connect to PC via USB (or removable flash) to dump.

Needs:
1 USB port (device mode)
1 asynch serial port (RS232 levels) 9600 baud
Real Time Clock
C or similar dev tools
non volatile storage (flash or EE)
generally in stock

Nice to have:
removable Flash memory support (USB or SD)
USB host mode
low height profile
DC-DC converter for 2AA NiMH power
200 hr battery life (avg 1 logged record per hour)
Industrial temperature range
extensive code library

Wishlist:
Optional Ethernet, WiFi, Xbee on other versions of the hardware platform

Recommendations? Stamp? Arduino? Other?

Thanks,
pb
By busonerd
I built almost exactly this for a client using the LPC2148 ARM processor. The bits it didn't have - RTC Clock, are easily added by adding a watch crystal + enabling the peripheral.

It used a microsd card for storage and was < 5mm thick. It would probably meet 200hour battery life with careful programming.

I can't provide that design because it was a work-for-hire, but it was pretty simple and didn't take too much effort. I'd encourage you to check out something based on the LPC2148, or its more modern brethren.

--David Carne
By SpinDrah
tswa wrote:Please recommend an embedded platform.

Recommendations? Stamp? Arduino? Other?

Thanks,
pb
just don't go with the stamp, it is a super easy chip to use but as soon as you get over that and need it to do something with it, you will realize how worthless it is.
By TheDirty
If you really want low power an MSP430 with an FTDI chip for the USB access, but with 1 log event per hour for only 200 hours, I can't see that it's needed. An LPC2xxx seems to be overkill, unless you are implementing full FAT access on the SD card.

EDIT: Just read the 'wish list'. It's not overkill if you want to implement any of those things.
By rockom
msp430!
By joshartman
I would look at the following:

http://www.acmesystems.it/

It is not Arduino etc, but this is real easy to work with.
By Pyrofer
I just heard about the mbed device at mbed.org
Its pretty darn cool, take a look.
By theatrus
Battery power is best served by MSP430, or maybe an XMEGA.
By tswa
Many thanks for all the replies.

That Blueboard looks like an incredible deal for around $40 for all it does.

mbed.org looks nice too once it is in production.

Agreed on the STAMP, most of the time I revert to a PIC program to finish a project I started with a STAMP.

I failed to mention that I do need to find one that has a quick prototype board already built with all those features so I can get the first few units into a pilot.

LPC2148 and MSP430 do look like the things for the job and have the eval boards available. If you'll forgive a follow on question, what tool chain do you recommend for those two micros? Are there any Arduino style libraries out there for a quick proto?

Thanks again,
pb
By leon_heller
I use Rowley CrossWorks for both ARM and MSP430 development. It's excellent.

Leon
By TheDirty
I use Crossworks for ARM and the free 16k limited Code Composer for MSP430, but will likely get a Crossworks license for that as well some time. TI is having some serious supply chain issues right now, though.

I don't know of any Arduino style open source wrappers for LPC2xxx. There are a few RTOS's which might somewhat qualify, though.