SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Grecko
Hey all,

I got 8 power supplies from Sparkfun, and I'm a bit confused... well, very confused :)

On the website, it says two 100uF capacitors in the parts list. In the schematic, it also says two 100uF capacitors (C1 and C2). However, in the photos, its easy to tell the capacitors are not the same, and looking at the PCB you can see that the circles are different sizes (larger for C1 than C2).

So, should there be two 100uF capacitors in the packages, or a 100uF for C1 and a 10uF for C2? I was shipped a 100uF and a 10uF in all 8 packages.

If it should be 10 and 100, does it matter which is which? Before I even realized that one wasn't a 100uF capacitor, I soldered it into C1, and now can't get it out for the life of me :(

Thanks!
Grecko

PS> I'm switching the voltage regulator included for a 2.5v 5A regulator, if it affects the needed capacitors at all.
By donblake
Is this the Breadboard Power Supply? I have two of them which I purchased at different times. The 1st kit was missing the 100 uF 25V capacitor (no big deal because I have a lot of these in my spare parts kit). The 2nd kit contains a 100 uF 35V and a 10 uF 25V. Definitely use the 35V part for C1. The 10 uF part should be fine for C2.

To remove the capacitor, get some solder wick and/or a solder sucker. I have both and use them frequently.

Don
By sparky
Hello,

Sorry! Designs change.

The original BB PS had two 100uF caps. They were different sizes because of the different voltages (35V and 16V). rev A had a 100uF on the raw (35V rated) and a 10uF on the 5V line (25V rated).

To make matters more complex, I need to post the new BB PS that can switch between 3.3V and 5V. Check the homepage soon.

FYI - it's surprisingly hard to get someone to sit down and make 100 kits exactly the same. Very sorry if you're missing a component. Please let me know and we'll send you anything we missed!

-Nathan