SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By puffyfish
I made a simple GPS device on a breadboard. I'm writing a control system for a remote control plane. I wrote a c++ class that parses the NMEA serial data, then output info to the LCD using arduino libraries. Compiled from the command line using SCons python build system, and uploaded to the board using an AVR usb programmer.

Here's some pics:

The LCD displays UTC time and date, Lat and longitude, and degree heading+speed if moving. I put a push button to switch between the info.

The sparkfun tutorials were invaluable in figuring this out. It was fun!
By Liencouer
Remote (user) controlled, or autonomous? Looks like someone is working towards the next UAV competition? 8)
By puffyfish
I will start with manual control and slowly automate it. I'm thinking of using an ARM board running Linux if I can find one small enough.
By gussy
Have you looked at the ArduPilot project?

Building an autopilot is quite hard, starting out with something like ArduPilot would give you a good kickstart, unless of course you want to build you in, which which case good luck!!

Have you thought about stabilisation? GPS isn't enough to fly a plane, you need to be able to sense the attitude (roll, pitch, yaw) of the aircraft.
By puffyfish
After some searching I purchased a $100 200MHz AVR9 board with 5 usb ports. Now if I can only figure out how to control servos and electric motors over USB.

I plan on rolling my own linux kernel and filesystem with debootstrap cause I'm a perfectionist. I think I'll just have init exec my program directly so there's nothing running in the background.