SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By jayjay
Hi Guys

Has anyone designed a pulse oximeter using LED/InfraRed photodiode combination? or managed to interface to a commercial probe?

Thanks
Jay
By wiml
I think there was an article in Circuit Cellar INK a while back on building a pulse oximeter. Let's see ... it was in the Dec'04/Jan'05 issues and the circuit was designed around the TAOS TSL230R sensor.

HTH, etc.
By Caffeine
We have a 'Secret Santa' arrangement here at work, where everyone gives anonymous but amuing presents.

One of our programmers can be quite prone to stress, so as a secret santa present, one of the guys here made a computer mouse, with an oximeter built in, he hijacked the centre button click to represent the pulse, and wrote a custom mouse driver that interpreted the centre click and informed the user when their pulse was getting high!

Anyway, from what he told me, it's quite simple a circuit he downloaded off the web somewhere...
By jayjay
Thanks guys

The Circuit Celler article is available at Taos's site, I have downloaded that, it is a fairly simple circuit. What I am trying to avoid here is having to package the curcuit (either as finger clip or ear clip) in crude form. As I need to make some presentation, I would prefer to use off the shelf probe. Most of the commercial ones have a DB-9 connector, but none of the manufacturers have disclosed details on the interface or pin assignment. I am wondering if anyone had actually hacked/interfaced with one of these?

Thanks
Jay
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]