SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mshiznitzh
The last week or so I have been planning a final project for my micro-controller class. This is my last college class, so I am going for epic.

My idea is a weather station, original I know. But wait I want to improve what you will find when you do a google search for DIY weather stations. I want a two device (base and remote station) system that has to ability to update to underground weather.com via RapidFire Updates without the need for a computer.
http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/ ... d_Protocol
RapidFire Updates allow you to update weather station conditions at a frequency up to once observation every 2.5 seconds. Web site visitors will see these observations change in real-time on the wunderground.com site.

For the Base station I want to use one of the MSP430 EasyWEB3 and add a TI CC2500, 2.4 Low Cost, Low-Power 2.4 GHz RF Transceiver Designed for Low-Power Wireless, to it for communications to the remote sensors. The Transceivers will be using the SimpliciTI protocol.

Outside I am looking to develop my own PCB for the sensors with the following components on it:
BQ2057 Lithium-Polymer linear charge-management IC
TPS780330220 Single Channel LDO
MSP430F2410
CC2500
BMP085 Pressure and Temp sensor
Humidity sensor
TLC555
Weather Meters
I am still looking at which battery and solar collector I am going to use.

This is going to be the first PCB that I have designed and my first time to work with surface mount devices. I will be doing all my soldering via Toaster Oven Reflow Soldering. By the end of the weekend I should have a schematic done in eagle and will post it here. If you have any experience with anyone of the parts I have listed or a project of this nature please post up.
By theatrus
Any particular reason to go with Lithium? I'd suggest NiMh and solar, which would give you "infinite" lifetime.

And by all means, if you're up for sharing, post your PCB + Schematic and we can give positive feedback :-).
By waltr
I'd suggest the Lithium battery for outdoor use as NiMh capacity drops with low temperatures, Li doesn't. The technology is mature enough to have good low cost chargers.
By theatrus
waltr wrote:I'd suggest the Lithium battery for outdoor use as NiMh capacity drops with low temperatures, Li doesn't.
Sure it does, just not at the same rate. If you're worried about -40C operation, primary lithium is where you want to be. Forget the rechargeable.
By mshiznitzh
theatrus wrote:Any particular reason to go with Lithium? I'd suggest NiMh and solar, which would give you "infinite" lifetime.

And by all means, if you're up for sharing, post your PCB + Schematic and we can give positive feedback :-).
No, I didn't have a reason to go with the Lithium but i have already ordered the Charger (BQ2057).

Thanks for the input.