SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By jwd270
Has any one worked with the 32 bit AVR microcontrollers? Any body know of a development board for < $100?
By leon_heller
Try AVR Freaks.

Leon
By ribbotson
Which AVR32 do you want to use ?

If it is the AT32AP7000 then the NGW100 board is probably the way to go though over your budget.

For the AT32UC3A and AT32UC3B, there are a couple here in your budget, though I did not try them :
http://alvidi.de/produkte_module_en.html
I have used the EVK1101.

Also I have used the 64 pin protoboard from Electroboards and fitted AT32UC3B0256. Added decoupling and xtal on protoboard. Then USB connector, 3.3V regulator, and two push buttons for reset on another board. Because the chips come with the USB bootloader as standard it works fine. A few hours work and some fine soldering, but under $20 !

The software framework and FreeRTOS from Atmel take a bit of getting used to due to its size and complexity. However it does work well and is great for USB device and host. The Device Firmware Update (DFU) bootloader is well integrated into the free AVR32 Studio.

The UBW32 using the Microchip 32 bit device may be an alternative for you.
By jwd270
The AT32UB3 devices were the ones I was interested in. The board in the link was pretty much what I was looking for.

The reason I started the thread here is because I was considering designing a board of my own and wanted to see if there was any interest in this group for this processor.
By ribbotson
A fellow roboteer has just done a similar board. It is slightly smaller, but has bus for Dynamixel servos and 3 axis accelerometer. We are waiting for the PCB to come back. It will likely cost more than the link I sent due to low volume and the accelerometer.

I persuaded him to use the AT32UC3B0256 so I could have a USB host, and port lwbt and so use PS3 controller and Wiimote.

I hope others pursue the AVR32. We already have some experience to share.