SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By nick26
Hi all,

Now I've just received my shiny Ipod Touch, I'm thinking of building some remote control schemes for it. Emulating the stock inline button remote, so I can use my own headphones will be easy enough, but... I'm thinking of using the spare steering wheel controls on my car for changing tracks, etc... and theres a spare 1din slot above my car radio begging for a letterbox slot for the Touch (have it so its push in, pop out :wink:).

I'm thinking of using the docking connector so I can supply power from the car and using a PIC to measure the resistances from the stick controls and then control the Touch. I've found the pinout info for the docking connector, but not finding much on any serial protocols I may need to use. Has anyone built a similar project for or have suggestions where I can find the info? I'd rather not 'jailbreak' mine for the sake of it.

Thanks in advance.
By Gsm Man
I've designed several after-market and OEM adapters for the controlling iPods through car radios. There are a couple of differant protocols supported by iPods (some of which require you to sign a non-disclosure to receive them). The protocol you need to use is referred to as the "Accessory Protocol". There are several web sites that detail it, one is: http://www.adriangame.co.uk/ipod-acc-pro.html
By nick26
Wind on life a few weeks. Thanks for the link, some good info. I've scored some cheap remotes from ebay. You can stick a few K ohms across the pads (once you've ripped a part) and the 'buttons' still work. I'll have to try and identify the ICs on it another day.

Now where did I leave that bit of paper with my steering column resistances?.... :wink: