SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Bruce Bowling
Just wanted to give super thanks to Sparkfun for their FT232R Breakout board! It allowed me to test an idea for an isolated RS-232 to USB converter. Basically the FT232RL part is coupled to the new Analog Devices ADM3251 Isolated RS-232 to TTL serial chip.

I have an engine controller module (microsquirtmodule.com) and an isolated serial link arrangement is extremely desirable. As everyone knows, an automotive environment is very hostile and when you connect a PC it can be brutal.

Anyway, the arrangement with the two devices provides total isolation, and provides a RS232-to-USB conversion that is needed.

I tested this using the FT232R Breakout board and a ADI EVAL-ADM3251 eval board. The FTDI chip is powered by the PC USB link, as is half of the ADM chip. The ADM chip has an internal DC-DC converter to provide +/-12V on the other side, and the Tx and RX are isolated using the Icoupler technology - basically tiny transformers inside of the chip (and they can pass DC signals, too). Result is total isolation! Sometimes being isolated is a good thing....

The overall schematic is located here: http://www.microsquirtmodule.com/circuit_addons.html

Thanks again for making the breakout board - it really helped with mocking up the circuit :) And, if you ever wanted to make an isolated RS-232 to USB board, please do! I will point a bunch of people over to it! Keep up the fantastic work, its awesome :)

- Bruce
Do-it-yourself EFI - www.megamanual.com
By funnynypd
This is an interesting project. Do you have more photos, videos to share?