SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By pmacpeter
8) I want to setup a program in computer or in cell phone to remote control the home automation device. It must be very user friendly to let user to build their own floor plan and easily adding device, e.g. light, socket, etc. Then sending out signal through RF or Bluetooth. There is no wiring, no console, all device should be equipped with 2-way RF.

Can somebody help or advise. I also setup the http://hawc.codeplex.com.
By Philba
how the heck did a multi-posted note wind up a sticky???
By macegr
Apparently anyone is allowed to make a sticky topic.
By TheDirty
I just noticed that Poll thread was removed as a sticky, but this thing wasn't. That was some pretty random administration.
By pmacpeter
not understandy why you guy concerns the sticky more than my subject.
By TRON
Maybe due to the fact that your discussion isn't worthy of a sticky? Instead it makes it look like you're yelling out to everybody to get attention cause somehow you're so special that your topic deserves a always shows first on top of everybody else's of which is quite immature.

Sparkfun badly needs to have forum etiquette guidelines and remove the sticky option from normal users, and leave it to moderators who are active in the forums that will judge what threads are worthy of a sticky.
By jesrandall
Pic Micro Microcontrollers from Microchip have very easy to use entry level TCp/IP controllers via ethernet. Your device would attach to your cable modem / router / etc... and then from any internet accept point in the world you would be able to access the device. The interface could be entirely HTTP base (in other words, you'd access it like a webpage). And on that webpage there could be flash, javascript, java, applets running to make the interface look as cool as you wanted.

The device you end up building with TCP/IP support would also control the rest of your circuit. Use the other I/O pins on the microcontroller to interface to buttons, switches, RF wireless modules... and then via the HTTP you'd be able to have whatever control you need over any device in range of the central hub's RF transceiver.

The remote RF controllers would be relatively simple and could have relays, FETs, or NPN transistors, etc to interface with lights around the house, cameras, and security, anything you can imagine.

Ultimately all of the devices attached to the RF remote ends would be controllable through any internet access point. It's really up to software / firmware. Once the circuit is completed and installed, variations in software would allow you to change essentially any aspect of what the system does.

I once built a very extensive home automation system used in hotels. It could control any room and help manage power consumption and lighting when people entered a room or left. It was based around wireless modules and the only difference was the lacking of a TCP/IP controller, instead the user had an LCD remote and was able to control any aspect / setting via the small TV remote type control. Since my range was limited to about 300 feet... I used routing algorithms to help the remote devices able to send out the user's remote requests to the specified receiver, even if the end destination was much greater than 300 feet. Routing algorithms are a form of pathfinding and can be very complicated, but in the end the system was perfect! I only wish I had this in my house!
By johnmc
Check out this new system by Freescale. It comes with a bunch of home automation demos. One with TCP/IP that can send you email notification and then a telnet type application..I haven't tinkered with that one..

It's cheap too!

http://www.freescale.com/tower
By H.S.Srinivas
I think there is another option, if your phone has Wi-Fi, you can interface a wifi module to your controller. The interface can be stored in form of HTML pages(embedded web server).
Is this possible? :?
By jwc1
H.S.Srinivas wrote:I think there is another option, if your phone has Wi-Fi, you can interface a wifi module to your controller. The interface can be stored in form of HTML pages(embedded web server).
Is this possible? :?
Yes, it's possible...and it's been out for years.

http://www.homeseer.com/