SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Keith
Anybody know what type of curcuit you would need to create a battery powered heat sock. I know you can buy them pretty cheap but I thought I would try to make one first.
By leon_heller
Use nichrome wire woven into the sock.

Leon
By silic0re
Anybody know what type of curcuit you would need to create a battery powered heat sock. I know you can buy them pretty cheap but I thought I would try to make one first.
This sounds like a *really* bad idea. Would you really rather risk the very real possibility of the circuit not going 100% as planned and potentially hurting someone badly, instead of purchasing an inexpensive product that does the same thing?

Not to sound too motherly or anything, but I use nichrome wire to melt plastic at about 250°C, and that stuff warms up very quickly, and can dramatically change temperature with a relatively small change in voltage. It's not worth messing around with putting something potentially REALLY dangerous attached to someone's body.
By noptical
You could buy a new wife instead.
By Polux rsv
heater PTC. They are ceramics components, powered by 12V, self heating and self regulated by the PTC effect. Can't remember now the name, but I have a link at work.

Try also flexible heaters by Minco at http://www.minco.com/

Angelo