SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By JackNeedsHelp
Hi ppl,

I am trying to build a really basic device, a Mini Camera :idea: , so I can mount it on my bike for some exciting footages.

General idea is to use a CMOS camera module to capture video/ image and to record these data to a storage device like a Micro SD card. Does not need a screen for UI, just record, as plain as it gets - prototype 1st.

I have no idea how to make these 2 modules communicate (Micro SD module and CMOS module) :roll: .

What would I need? :shock: I feel like I am reinventing the wheel since we ald have digital cameras.

But, current digicams does not fit the bill for what I need coz 1) too costly, 2) too big, 3) I do not need such high resolution.

Current solutions also do not appeal to me, hope I can build my own alternative! :D

Any help is greatly appreciated.
By TheDirty
Unless you are doing this just because you want to do it as a learning experience, I think you are going to spend a lot of money on development that you could just spend on buying the camera.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index7.htm

Building it smaller than the one linked above, means some pretty custom work that's not really a beginners project.
By JackNeedsHelp
Thx for setting me in the right direction!

I agree that it'll take a while and lots of efforts as well, but as I am still a tertiary student, will have time over the weekends to try to get it up! :)
By The_Todd
TheDirty wrote:Unless you are doing this just because you want to do it as a learning experience, I think you are going to spend a lot of money on development that you could just spend on buying the camera.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index7.htm

Building it smaller than the one linked above, means some pretty custom work that's not really a beginners project.
Thats cool! I want one!
By TheDirty
It's not that cool. One problem with these things on vehicles is the slow refresh time. We got one of the GoPro camera's, but video is just not that good. The slow refresh time gives the image a wavy look when it's subjected to vibration.
By partypants69
I don't know if you need real-time video or not, but I would recommend perhaps getting something like the canon powershot SD750. I got mine for around $175 if I remember correctly. I believe I purchased it from amazon, but it looks like its over $200 there right now (you should probably shop around).

Anyway, I took a road trip and made some pretty cool looking time-lapse(link not my video, but similar) videos from my car. It would be easy enough to make a case that could be strapped to the front of a bike. Also if you ever want more features, this camera is compatible with CHDK.
By Sputnik
If you dont need the resolution, just buy one of the cheap little $20 cams like Aiptek sells. They capture at 640x480 at 20Fps (some higher) and are incredibly small. For the money I dont think I would go any other way. Yes, building something yourself is something in itself but for $20, it just isnt worth it. Expense was one of you criteria and I do believe you would be WAY over your budget if you attempted to do it yourself, not to mention there is a LOT of learning to do as you do not seem to know much about any of this, or you would have already known what you need to get data from the CMOS to the SD. No offense, but this project seems to be doomed from the get go. Just buy one!!!!
By JackNeedsHelp
These Aiptek cameras, I've checked them out, seemed pretty cool and the cost is right too! Will consider em but because I need something with near to 360 degrees coverage, and dun think dez any out there now, so will probably wanna design my own. U r right, Im totally noob on this, coz I've returned all that I've learnt to my lecturers...

Time to pay them a visit again! :twisted:

U ordered from them b4? Trustworthy?

Just a couple of things left, are they(Aiptek minicams) capable of saving the videos onto a SD card? And how long does the battery last?