SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Ian.culverhouse
I have been using a 3.7v LiPo battery to power a BlueSMiRF and an ID-2 RFiD reader, putting the battery through a 5v DC -DC step up circuit to give them enough juice to power the circuit. I have had it working fine all afternoon (but not for a length of time that would of drained the battery). Then all of a sudden it stopped working, eveything appears to be dead.

Any ideas??

Unfortunatly I currently do not have access to another LiPo battery to try that ( I would need to order one).
By bigglez
Ian.culverhouse wrote:I have had it working fine all afternoon (but not for a length of time that would of drained the battery). Then all of a sudden it stopped working, eveything appears to be dead.
Do you have a DMM? Did you record any data?
By Ian.culverhouse
Hi,

Yeah iv got a DMM. When I put it accross the battery All I get is 1.1V.

The only thing that I can think of atm is that there is a problem with my charging circuit and that its not actually charging. I think tomorrow when I get back to my office I will remove the battery and try to charge it on a different charging circuit.
By Dibblah
If the cell is below about 2.7v, you need to be very careful while charging. It can and will without a good charger burst into nasty flames.
By bigglez
Ian.culverhouse wrote:Yeah iv got a DMM. When I put it accross the battery All I get is 1.1V.
Is that with the battery in circuit? What is the
open circuit voltage?

A fully discharged Li-Ion should not go below 3.0V,
otherwise it may be damaged.

From Wikipedia:
The voltage of a Li-poly cell varies from about 2.7 V (discharged) to about 4.23 V (fully charged), and Li-poly cells have to be protected from overcharge by limiting the applied voltage to no more than 4.235 V per cell used in a series combination. Overcharging a Li-poly battery will likely result in explosion and/or fire. During discharge on load, the load has to be removed as soon as the voltage drops below approximately 3.0 V per cell (used in a series combination), or else the battery will subsequently no longer accept a full charge and may experience problems holding voltage under load.
By Ian.culverhouse
I have removed the battery from the circuit that I made and am now using a Sparkfun LiPo charging board and it appears to be charging. It reads 3.8v when I put the DMM across the terminals. How long do these take to charge? It is a LipO battery from Sparkfun, I believe it is the one with the charge protection built in, is there still a risk of flames?
By Sputnik
Ian.culverhouse wrote:I have removed the battery from the circuit that I made and am now using a Sparkfun LiPo charging board and it appears to be charging. It reads 3.8v when I put the DMM across the terminals. How long do these take to charge? It is a LipO battery from Sparkfun, I believe it is the one with the charge protection built in, is there still a risk of flames?
The time it takes to charge is dependent on the output current of the charger. With most lipo cells you do not want to charge over 1C rate, meaning a 250mah battery should be charged at no more than 250mah, resulting in a 1 hour charge approximately, depending on the state of charge when you started.

Also, lipo's as stated earlier should not be allowed to discharge to less than 2 - 2.7 volts depending on the quality of the cell.

If allowed to drop below this they are potentially dead and if you do try to bring the back, DO NOT charge them at the 1C rate, more like .1 C rate.

If you notice the cell PUFFING, with your limited experience using these, DO NOT try to charge/use them. You will certainly cause a fire.

The chemistry needs to maintain a charge in order to keep the internal resistace to a minimum. If there is no chare they are essentially a big, low wattage resistor wrapped in flammable material/chemicals, inside a vessel that will build up pressure, meaning explosion, or a large (relatively) jet like plume of flame out of a hole that opened up due to the pressure.

Anything using a lipo certainly needs voltage detection ability to cut power when voltage drops this low. Most devices using them do have this.

I would just throw that cell away and get a new one and be more careful next time.
By NleahciM
A cell that has been brought down that low will exhibit higher ESR and lower capacity. Just how bad it will be is hard to say.

And yes - if you notice any puffing - toss it. You should probably toss it anyways.
By Ian.culverhouse
Thanks for all your useful advice guys. I am going to chuck that battery that I had and get a new one to be on the safe side.