SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ewb
Thanks for the reply. I did see those posts but a source for the pins wasn't there. I did try Mill-Max and they only make machined pins.
By leon_heller
I think you need special equipment to attach those pins. It's much easier and cheaper to use ordinary turned pins, unless you are making large quantities of your boards. They also have the advantage that they can be replaced if they get damaged.

Leon
By VStar650CL
How about designing your board with "half-cut" through-plated edge connections like GPS modules, et. al. Then a simple .100" stick header could be soldered to the edge (and the plastic body removed if needed).
By ewb
Unfortunately, the product spec defines these types of pin and so I need to use them.
By leon_heller
You'll probably have to get your boards assembled by a company that has the right equipment.

Leon
By macegr
Well, these guys make them, but I'm not sure how a person would order them in lot sizes of less than 30 or 50 thousand. I wasn't able to find a distributor. But maybe this will provide some terminology (terminalogy? :wink: ) for further searching, a jump-off point for locating a small quantity distributor. http://www.interplex.com/nas/catalog.ns ... ine%20Pins

Oh btw, the pins would come on a metal strip of the correct spacing, and the strip would be snapped off after soldering.
By macegr
I found a roll of them at work from prototyping, they look like the right thing. Might be able to find out where we get them, but it could be a dead end...I think we use them by the 100,000.

By davep238
macegr wrote:I found a roll of them at work from prototyping, they look like the right thing. Might be able to find out where we get them, but it could be a dead end...I think we use them by the 100,000.

I think that they are called "lead frames". I was looking for some years ago, and gave up because I'd have to buy a huge amount. But recently, I could have sworn that I stumbled into a web site that sold them, and I thought that I had bookmarked it, but blast it, I can't find the site again. Sigh
-Dave Pollum
By ewb
macegr

That is exactly what I am looking for. Please see if you can find where you buy those pins. I've search and searched and haven't found them. Thanks so much for your effort!

Do you know you you align them? I'm assuming there is a jig to keep both sides in alignment and presses them in place prior to soldering.
By macegr
I think it's the old Mark I eyeball and leaving them all attached to the strip while soldering, when pressed onto the edge of a PCB they will stay there. 0.1" DIP is pretty tolerant of a couple mils misalignment, especially with the bendy pins used by these types of modules.
By ewb
macegr:

Any luck in finding the supplier for the pins in your picture? I did find couple of similar pins, but the ones you have look the best.

thanks,
By macegr
If I can't get a line on them through my company, I'll work with Eric over at Seeedstudio. As far as I know, every time someone has requested him to find a specific unique part, he has been able to either find it somewhere in Shenzen or get someone to make it. And at very reasonable prices too.