SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By norval
Size: 96 * 80 pixels
Type: CSTN
Color: 4096 (4k)
Controller: Unknown
Types: 2

Type 1: Soldered connector (12 pin)
Pinout:
1: Gnd - for connector stability, NC
2: Gnd - Module ground supply
3: EN/CS - Chip select, active low
4: Reset - active low
5: Clock - Idle low (shifting, latching unknown)
6: DorC or A0 (See below)
7: Data (See below)
8: Vlcd - 1.8v (2.8v, 3.3v compatible)
9: Vdd - 2.8v (3.3v compatible)
10: Gnd - Module ground supply
11: Vout - Module voltage out, 11v approx.
12: Gnd - for connector stability, NC

Type 2: FPC connector (9 pin)
Pinout:
1: Gnd - Module ground supply
2: EN/CS - Chip select, active low
3: Reset - active low
4: Clock - Idle low (shifting, latching unknown)
5: DorC or A0 (See below)
6: Data (See below)
7: Vlcd - 1.8v (2.8v, 3.3v compatible)
8: Vdd - 2.8v (3.3v compatible)
9: Gnd - Module ground supply

-------DorC / Data Test---------
Both lines were hooked to either voltage rails (Vdd or Gnd) to check response, when hooked to Vdd the line labeled 'data'
caused a white filled display synonymous with 0xFF or white in color mapping. Hooking it to Gnd caused a black display
Synonymous with 0x00 or black in color mapping.

Line labeled 'DorC' caused the display to act erratic if pulled in either direction and was sensitive to glitches.

I tried to use a microcontroller to sniff the serial data but with all the time it took to execute its own routines
it was dropping packets like hell, guess the serial clock used in the display is too fast for a 14.318mhz avr since
its generated from the ATI graphics controller on the display assembly. I am designing a high sped system with the
avr32ap7000 processor but it will take some time and i would like to figure this out in the mean time. It would be
excellent if someone could try to obtain a working command set from the serial data. Since the lcd carries out all
the functions that anyone would possibly need in its native habitat its irrelevant to have a complete documentation
as all the needed functions could be obtained from tapping its lines. I have also discovered that the external lcd
used in all the v3 series are compatible, from the v3 to the v3xx, maxx, r, re, i, x, t and the list continues. Never
tested the CDMA variants though but am almost certain its the same, well atleast the external display. Swapping the
whole display assembly wont work cause the graphics controller is different and requires a different communication
protocol, not to mention interface to baseband processor.
Also even though the lcd hs a dark film glued to the back that makes it seem a bit dark, it is needed as without it
the lcd i completely transparent and useless even with proper lighting, actually without this film, lighting makes the
problem worse.
I really hope someone takes up this challenge as i have a bunch of these lcd's hanging around and nothing to do with
them. Due to their size we would be able to make very small projects. Most of my projects, even with the 8mil trace and
spacing requirement of batchpcb are limited in size because of the size of the lcd. Trust me, as they said on
sparkfun's eagle tutorial you would be surprised at what you could do or how small you could go with 8 or 10 mil rules.
They don’t have a backlight system so you have to create one. Taking the backlight distribution system from any old TFT
or color STN display and cutting it co the shape and size of this display will work.
simple steps.
Remove backlight system from old lcd, remember the order of the little sheets you take out, its important. Stack them
together or one by one is up to you. Cut three of the sides to fit the lcd exactly and leave the other protruding about
2 millimeters, please note that all the separate layers must protrude also. For best results and less headaches the
protruding side should be at either sides or the top, not at the bottom where the Fpc is.
On the side that protrudes use a fine marker or something to mark where the lcd stops and try to figure out how many
backlight leds you will be using as its is important in order to move on. Cut slots in the layers to fit in the leds,
use very sharp tool to maximize the smoothness of the edges. Map out the precise location of the leds on the pcb, a
pcb is not necessary yet as all that is required is the distance apart. Note though that if you do not make some definate
specifics as to these measurements then when designing the pcb you will have to replicate the measurements you created
on the module in the design process.
After getting all layers cut and lined up correctly use any bonding agent to seal the edges of the module, even some fancy
adhesive if available, the idea is to stop light from leaking out through these edges. Please note though that in the
slots that were cut for the leds you must NOT!!! Seal the side where the light from the leds will enter the assembly,
sealing the wall to the left or right of the led is ok. Next you need to use some black or any other light absorbing or
retardant color of tape, electrical tape is good, to cover the extra part of the assembly that protrudes, it must be
covered from the top..... Top only, its purpose is to block the light from the leds from escaping through this exposed
part of the assembly.
Any whiteled driver can be used to power these leds but my all time favourite is the LT3465 led driver from linear
technologies as it has the built in schotky diode which conserves board space and is in a SOT3-6 package so its easy to
solder and requires few external components, because of the switching speed, 1.2 or 2.4mhz depending on if you use the
LT3465/LT3465A the used inductor can be very small, if you can find one as small as a standard 0603 package in eagle it
will work, MURATA has them. I would show you a pictorial example of this but i am writing this post on my pda and it
is a palm T3. We all know palm os' limitations, PALM STINKS..... I sat on my dell axim, believe my if man could marry
machine i would marry all my dell product, my opinion, the best pc and pda manufacturer and designer EVER!!! I love them.
Enough chitter though. The sideleds, which are whiteleds that beam light to one side can be obtained from any old TFT or
color STN backlight assembly or can be purchased from the net but since i have stockpiles of old mobile phones around here
my supply is in the thousands so i have never actually bought them online, sorry.

After completing the above you will have a custom high intensity backlight assembly.
NOTE, this procedure can be used to make a backlight kit for almost if not any lcd.
GOOD LUCK!!!

I would really appreciate it if someone could get some working information on the above lcd, i am sure we could all benefit
tremendously.

My shout-outs to all you developers prototypers and engineers especially you guys at sparkfun, if it wasn’t for you and
your work especially batchpcb i wouldn't be able to do half the things i do, as here in Jamaica its impossible to get
anything to work with and all supplies have to be ordered from overseas. Keep up the good work. God bless the founders
of ATMEL, real wizards, they work magic along with so many other people. Love you guys.

This is my first post here so please bear with me, am just excited.

Please feel free to test my theory and post comments.

I have created and tested libraries for eagle and they seem ok electrical and dimension wise, however i did not have a
digital caliper so my measurements may be off by a couple 100th of a millimeter or so, visibly they line up extremely well.
Anyone need just ask. I hate rapidshare though so will have to use another that does not tell you that download limit has
been reached and you must try again in 45 minutes.
Those bastards.

Any questions or suggestions please post or email, norvalmckoy101@hotmail.com but desired option is to post here so
everyone can track our progress.
By norval
hellooooo, no one managed to log the data on this display as yet.....

hope it happens soon.......
By Sputnik
norval wrote:hellooooo, no one managed to log the data on this display as yet.....

hope it happens soon.......
It might help if you stated EXACTLY what LCD it is you are referring to. You only posted a few specs which could apply to many many different LCD's.

If you want it to happen soon, you will have to do it by yourself. Nobody will want to help if you 1.) Cant provide enough information. 2.)Come back "shoutiiiiing" as if someone was supposed to have had it done already.
By norval
my apologies to any one who took an offence, since one person thought i was shouting i must assume tht others do too. that was not intended.

in respone to the previous post:

1. all the information needed is present.

the chipset is unknow
the resolution is 4K
the size = 96 * 80
type is cstn (Color)
pinout is available at the top of the first post.

i would assume thats all that is needed for the process to be a success

also as stated in the post before it is found in all the motorola V3 series mobile phones, its the external one, not the large internal one.

any more information needed please ask...