SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By AvVlad
Good day all,

I'm AvVlad, and I am new to this board. I am looking to buy the ARA-ME-01 FP scanner for a keyless-entry application (home home security final project).

I looked at the data provided on sparkfun (especially the serial interface document). I also read of a successful FP project, and would like to get more information concerning communication with the sensor.

Ms. Michelle L.: would you mind sharing the test software you obtained by the manufacturer?

ams0178: I was wondering if you had time to the document on how to use the FP?

Thank you all in advance for you help, it is much appreciated.

AvVlad
By AJ
Hi AvVlad

once you have the test software you can use a comm port sniffer package to monitor the hex strings sent back and forth from the host and device this along side the documentation on the spark fun product page will help you establish communication and command routines with the device :)
By AvVlad
Hey AJ, thanx 4 the info.

Did u also successfully completed a project with the ARA-ME-01?
By AJ
AvVlad wrote:Hey AJ, thanx 4 the info.

Did u also successfully completed a project with the ARA-ME-01?
I AvVlad,

I am in the process at present, i have completed the read info, and enrolment command packets :) but have a long way to go to complete
By science_geek
i have had one of these for a while, i have never really tried to use it, but now that its cold i have more indoor time, could someone give me a tutorial on how this works,
By AJ
Hi Science_Geek,

I dont think any of us have a tut that is complete or comprehensive enough for this module, i personally just have scraps of notes and snippets of code

But i can give you some pointers to get the unit responding from what i've discovered from my own findings and great help from the other posters in this thread

First get the docs from the SFE page for the module they describe the packet arrangement in more detail and list the commands available
Next you will need the Demo application
(drop me a PM with your email addy, i'll send it over to you)
Also get yourself a good comm packet monitoring tool, this will allow you to sniff the packets from the demo application / device

Theres 6 connections described in the docs connect as follows

Pin 1 = GND (Common 0v)
Pin 2 = Reset (GND to reset, i leave floating causes no issues but prob should be held high when not in use)
Pin 3 = TX (RX on your UART)
Pin 4 = RX (TX on your UART)
Pin 5 = PowerEN (as it says, Power Enable 5V)
Pin 6 = VCC (5v)

the baud rate by default is 115200 however this can be changed from the demo application the comm settings are 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop and no handshaking

Open up Hyper terminal or similar and send the following string in hex as an example, this is the command to delete all fingerprints stored in the database on the device

EF 01 FF FF FF FF 01 00 03 0D 00 11

To break down the string:
All Command packets initialize with the first 2 bytes set too EF 01
(think of this as a header)

the next 4 bytes 4xFF is the device address (i havnt found a way to change this yet, but its fine left as 255, 255, 255, 255

The next byte is 01 this is the type of packet (01=Command, 02=data, 08=last data) at the moment were only interested in command packets

The next two bytes 00 03 indicate the packet length over 2 bytes and will vary with each command sent

0D is the command you are sending (Delete ALL)

The last two bytes are the packet checksum which will also vary with each
packet

The reply would look like this:

EF 01 FF FF FF FF 07 00 03 00 00 0A

The first 6 bytes are identical as above

The 7th byte contains 0x07 this indicates the packet is a response packet

The next 2 bytes again are the packet length across 2 bytes

the 9th byte is the Response byte, 0x00 = ACK

the last two again are the packets checksum

I hope this gets you started good luck :D

Andrew
By pswanberg1
Hey everyone,

First, I wanted to say thanks AJ the tutorial was very helpful and informative.

I inferred from the hex string example that the images are stored on the device, is this true? Or does it require some sort of external storage.

My second question deals with the output of the device. Assuming the device has been programmed with someones fingerprint data, what sort of output information does the device produce when it detects a correct fingerprint read? Is this a hex string or can it produce a logical high or low signal.

I am looking to use this fingerprint scanner as a stand-alone security measure that could also communicate with other devices in an integrated circuit. Can it work stand-alone or does it need other software/microcontrollers to operate.

I would be very thankful for any advice you guys/gals could give.

-Patrick
By AJ
Hi Patrick,

No Problem glad it helps some folks get started, i'll be hohnest i havnt finished yet myself :oops:

In answer to your questions

The images, or data format of an image is saved internally
no external storage is needed, it has plenty of onboard memory plus extra if you wish to save a few bytes for yourself

There are no bits that go high when a user is authenticated unfortunatly, its all hex and based on the command packet as described

Also to communicate in hex its needs either a pc or a micro depending on your end application :) hope this helps
By hansolo
Dear Michelle,

I manage the get the module connected to my PC and use the test software that you e-mailed to me with success.

Using a serial terminal software I also can send the command to module and get a response.

Do you have the process sequence for the following?
1) Enrolling of fingerprint to module.
2) Matching of fingerprint to module
3) Deletion of enrolled fingerprint in module

I am confused with the commands in the module manual.

Do you also have a table for confirmation code of response data packet?

Hansolo
By Petros
Hello to all of you,

I have connected the fingerprint reader to a tahoeII board following the above advice. However I am not able to receive a responce from the device. I just keep sending EF 01 FF FF FF FF 01 00 03 0D 00 11 but get no reply. I can confirm that the fingerprint reader is powered with 5V, the Rx Tx pins are connected to the Tx, Rx pins on the tahoeII expantion port, and have connected the Reset and Gnd pins. The only Pin I have left floating is the PowerEN pin since it is HIGH by default. The serial configuration is the default with 115200 Baudrate, 8 databits 1 stopbit. I have also checked for any sort circuits. Has anybody experienced similar behaviour? Could anybody send the demo application or any code that does work for him?

Thank you for you time.
Petros
By AJ
hansolo wrote:Dear Michelle,

I manage the get the module connected to my PC and use the test software that you e-mailed to me with success.

Using a serial terminal software I also can send the command to module and get a response.

Do you have the process sequence for the following?
1) Enrolling of fingerprint to module.
2) Matching of fingerprint to module
3) Deletion of enrolled fingerprint in module

I am confused with the commands in the module manual.

Do you also have a table for confirmation code of response data packet?

Hansolo
Hansolo

As you already have the demo software

You can monitor the tx / rx with some free comm port sniffer software

This will help you understand the packets needed in either direction

The manual will also appear a lot clearer from this testing.

Hope this helps

Andrew
By AJ
Petros wrote:Hello to all of you,

I have connected the fingerprint reader to a tahoeII board following the above advice. However I am not able to receive a responce from the device. I just keep sending EF 01 FF FF FF FF 01 00 03 0D 00 11 but get no reply. I can confirm that the fingerprint reader is powered with 5V, the Rx Tx pins are connected to the Tx, Rx pins on the tahoeII expantion port, and have connected the Reset and Gnd pins. The only Pin I have left floating is the PowerEN pin since it is HIGH by default. The serial configuration is the default with 115200 Baudrate, 8 databits 1 stopbit. I have also checked for any sort circuits. Has anybody experienced similar behaviour? Could anybody send the demo application or any code that does work for him?

Thank you for you time.
Petros
Petros,

Does the TahoeII board have on board uart? for level translation of the data?

You will need to connect the PowerEn for the module to work, to date i have not needed to reset the module using the reset line.

Drop me a PM with your email address and i will send you the demo software to test

Andrew
By jhh3000
Hi, has anyone had any luck with connecting the Fingerprint Scanner to a computer via RS-232? I'm having no luck.

So far I've connected all 6 pins to the fingerprint module:
1 Ground to Power Supply Ground
2 Reset to Power Supply Ground
3 TX to SERIAL RX
4 RX to SERIAL TX
5 PowerEN to Power Supply +5V
6 VCC to Power Supply +5V

And I've connected three pins to the RS-232 connector:
2 RX to Fingerprint TX
3 TX to Fingerprint RX
5 Ground to Power Supply Ground

I open up HyperTerminal and try sending the command EF 01 FF FF FF FF 01 00 03 0D 00 11 by typing it in, no spaces, and hitting enter. But I never get any reply.
By Petros
jhh3000 wrote:Hi, has anyone had any luck with connecting the Fingerprint Scanner to a computer via RS-232? I'm having no luck.

So far I've connected all 6 pins to the fingerprint module:
1 Ground to Power Supply Ground
2 Reset to Power Supply Ground
3 TX to SERIAL RX
4 RX to SERIAL TX
5 PowerEN to Power Supply +5V
6 VCC to Power Supply +5V

And I've connected three pins to the RS-232 connector:
2 RX to Fingerprint TX
3 TX to Fingerprint RX
5 Ground to Power Supply Ground

I open up HyperTerminal and try sending the command EF 01 FF FF FF FF 01 00 03 0D 00 11 by typing it in, no spaces, and hitting enter. But I never get any reply.
Hello. If I remember correctly the reset is active low (for 10ms I think). If you have it connected to the ground then you just keep the fingerprint reader in reset mode. Moreover the computer's RS232 port usually supplies 12Volts on Rx and Tx pins. The fingerprint reader operates at 3,3 to 5 I think. Finally I had a problem connecting the PowerEN pin to Vcc which caused a sort circuit. But that can be because of a faulty reader.
By AJ
jhh3000 you need to use a Uart like one of the FTDI modules, you cant connect directly to the RS232 port

I use this DLP-2232M-G http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Evalua ... odules.htm

Also as petros said connecting reset to gnd will permantly keep the unit reset, its ok to leave floating for testing purposes.

When you send the string in hyperterminal make sure you send as hex and not ascii

AJ