SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By nall
Hi all.
I'd like to make an adapter that will allow me to plug an SMT part (LQFP, 64 pins, .5mm pitch) into my solderless breadboard for prototyping. The chip itself is a Philips ISP1161A USB Host Controller and will run ~6MHz.

Basically, I want to make this and have it manufactured by spark fun (for a lot less than $32):
http://smt-adapter.com/parts/S17-64QFS20-D9-SMT-S.shtml

Are there any gotchas i should be aware of or is it really as easy as slapping down 2 rows of .1" headers, my SMT package, and routing it?
By sparky
No tricks - that is a pretty board though!

An autorouter will have a field day if you let it. You may want to take the hour and route it by hand. keep the trace lengths as equal as possible - but it's not too big of a deal.

If you know where your power points are (Vcc and Gnd) throw on one or two caps up close to the IC. It won't be a generic board if you do, but your IC will thank you.

-Nathan
By nall
sparky wrote: An autorouter will have a field day if you let it. You may want to take the hour and route it by hand. keep the trace lengths as equal as possible - but it's not too big of a deal.
yeah, i threw it at the autorouter at first, and it just balked. it seems that it would be a fairly straightforward routing problem, but i don't know what sorts of algorithms autorouters use.

anyone know where i could get info on routing algorithms?