Making an SMT breadboard adapter

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
nall

Making an SMT breadboard adapter

Post by nall » Wed May 11, 2005 7:59 am

Hi all.
I'd like to make an adapter that will allow me to plug an SMT part (LQFP, 64 pins, .5mm pitch) into my solderless breadboard for prototyping. The chip itself is a Philips ISP1161A USB Host Controller and will run ~6MHz.

Basically, I want to make this and have it manufactured by spark fun (for a lot less than $32):
http://smt-adapter.com/parts/S17-64QFS20-D9-SMT-S.shtml

Are there any gotchas i should be aware of or is it really as easy as slapping down 2 rows of .1" headers, my SMT package, and routing it?

sparky
Site Admin

Post by sparky » Thu May 12, 2005 3:30 pm

No tricks - that is a pretty board though!

An autorouter will have a field day if you let it. You may want to take the hour and route it by hand. keep the trace lengths as equal as possible - but it's not too big of a deal.

If you know where your power points are (Vcc and Gnd) throw on one or two caps up close to the IC. It won't be a generic board if you do, but your IC will thank you.

-Nathan

nall

Post by nall » Fri May 13, 2005 7:10 am

sparky wrote: An autorouter will have a field day if you let it. You may want to take the hour and route it by hand. keep the trace lengths as equal as possible - but it's not too big of a deal.
yeah, i threw it at the autorouter at first, and it just balked. it seems that it would be a fairly straightforward routing problem, but i don't know what sorts of algorithms autorouters use.

anyone know where i could get info on routing algorithms?

Return to “SparkFun Product Questions”