SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By inventore123
I've received a couple of private messages regarding the breakout board I made for the OLED display, asking for the schematic, and for a couple of extra boards. I'm answering here instead of by private message because I'd like the board files to be freely available to everyone.

For the boards:
The boards are so small because I piggybacked them on another larger board I was drawing, using the spare PCB space, so I made only one NCP5810D board and one OLED breakout board. Sorry.

For the schematic:
I've uploaded here the gerber files to build the board, the schematic and an Eagle library with the components not available in the default libraries (connector, NCP5810D, ...). Enjoy 8)
By inventore123
Update: here's the code I'm using to drive the display. It's for an LPC2138, and also contains an header file with the bitmap image (the one from digitalblasphemy) in the last photo I've posted :D. It is based on silic0re's code.
Lacks startup code (linker script, startup script...), so you'll have to add your own.
Last thing, it's C++, but can easily be ported to C if needed.
By bsder
Does anybody have some power numbers yet for these displays?

I have these hooked up to a lab power supply, and they're sucking down what I consider to be an excessive amount of current for a fully white screen:

At AR_VSS/AR_VDD of -/+3.3V--80mA--0.528 Watts
At AR_VSS/AR_VDD of -/+4.0V--160mA--1.280 Watts
At AR_VSS/AR_VDD of -/+4.4V--230mA--2.024 Watts!!!!

That NCP driver chip that the tech notes all recommend doesn't look like it's going to cope with this very well. Now, the display is still plenty bright even at 3.3V and you probably don't have 100% white, but those power converters are going to get *hot* and the output voltage isn't likely to be very stable.

Does this match other folks or did I screw up?
By mpanetta
Wow, that does seem a bit excessive. When I start laying out my board I will be sure to put test jumpers on it I can use to measure the current.

Technically speaking however, the display should never have a white screen, and according to the app notes a black background on all screens is preferred over a white one for longevity reasons.
By DeathlyKnight
silic0re wrote:Hi all,

Aside from my questions about hand-soldering, I'm also concerned on whether its OK to have both of these regulators together -- specifically regarding the negative voltage. If I remember correctly (I may be completely wrong!), negative voltage just juices up the ground line such that it's offset -- in essence the -5V, GND, 3.3V and 5V would become 0V, 5V, 8.3V, and 10V (?). If that's the case, I can think of how that might result in terrible things, particularly with regard to both (1) charging the battery, and (2) trying to generate another voltage from a different regulator, but this is probably just from my lack of knowledge on the subject.

thanks for any help!
From my research, a negative voltage only exists when in reference to the common rail..

.. in other words if you had a power supply giving you -5v, 0v (ground/common), and 5v and you measured the voltage between the 0v and the 5v, you would get 5v reading, but if you measured the voltage between -5v and 5v, you would get 10v. same with if you measured between -5v, and 0v you would get 5v.

so I'm sure you are correct :)
By inventore123
bsder wrote:Does anybody have some power numbers yet for these displays?

I have these hooked up to a lab power supply, and they're sucking down what I consider to be an excessive amount of current for a fully white screen:

At AR_VSS/AR_VDD of -/+3.3V--80mA--0.528 Watts
At AR_VSS/AR_VDD of -/+4.0V--160mA--1.280 Watts
At AR_VSS/AR_VDD of -/+4.4V--230mA--2.024 Watts!!!!

That NCP driver chip that the tech notes all recommend doesn't look like it's going to cope with this very well. Now, the display is still plenty bright even at 3.3V and you probably don't have 100% white, but those power converters are going to get *hot* and the output voltage isn't likely to be very stable.

Does this match other folks or did I screw up?
Just a note: are these figures with the display correctly powered up and initialized?
The datasheet specifies that a proper initialization sequence should be followed, and the voltage at AR_VDD and AR_VSS must not be applied before the display is initialized. I know that some OLEDs can even be damaged by applying the display voltage before they are initialized.
The datasheet says the power consumption is 350mW with 30% pixel ON.
This means that with all pixels white the consumption must be 1.17W. Given the fact that the power is +4.6V and -4.4V, a total swing of 9V, the current must be 130mA

My only guess is that the figures you are reporting are with the display uninitialized. And if it is the case, I suggest you not doing it for extended periods of time, since the display appears to have a tendency of drawing too much current, and might be damaged.

I'll test a full white screen on my display and measure the consumption.
By silic0re
I think that's definitely the case, inventore123. If the +5/-5v are applied to the display and it remains uninitialized (with just pure white being displayed) for any period of time, it gets /extremely/ hot, in my experience. After it's initialized, and things are put on the screen, everything seems to be okay, though.
By inventore123
Ok, good news:
I finally found the time to set the gamma registers to the values recomended in the datasheet I got from vision opto, and... the display is now even brighter 8)

However, as part of the recomended settings, data is written to the registers 0xf8 and 0xf9, and according to the s6e63d6 datasheet, these registers do not exist!
Does the chip controller have "hidden" registers not mentioned in the datasheet?
By brouhaha
I'm just about to use some of these 2.8" OLED modules from Vision-Opto myself. Thanks for posting your code, schematics, etc.

Did you ever find out about the 0xf8 and 0xf9 registers? Does the display look different if you skip initialization of those two registers? Perhaps they meant to write values to two other registers but got the addresses wrong?

The datasheet Vision-Opto sent me doesn't have any recommended register configuration information at all. What is the title of the document you're referring to, so I can request a copy from Vision-Opto?

Thanks!
Eric
By y2k_eng
hi to all,
i am working on 0LED 176*220*RGB,the problem is that in my oled display
horizontal and vertical are in opposite direction, as defined below

|
|
| horizontal
|
|
|
|
|___________________
vertical

now i want to Print a Character,and because of this setting my character prints like that

| . .
| . .
| . .
| . .
| . .
|___________________
vertical
index 03 parameter 4130
**vertical inc
horizontal inc**
plz send me any Font table or please tell me solution
with best Regards
By Mrmati
Hello I was wondering where did you guys get your S6E63D6 from? Can someone point me in a direction where it can be purchased?
Thanks
Matthew