SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By zbalz
A few years ago when I was studying Electrical Engineering in college, I worked a lot with the PIC microcontroller. At the time it was pretty convenient to work with. Chips, development kits, and programmers were relatively cheap keeping startup costs low.

I'd like to get back into the embedded systems world again mainly as a hobby.But I'd like to learn an architecture that is cheap to get started in.

And most importantly one that is powerful/popular in the engineering world so I can keep up with my industry, particularly DSP and Embedded Systems.

Any recommendations on which family? Here are a few I've seen around:

- PIC
- ARM
- AVR
- PSoC
- FPGA
- Other?[/b]
By leon_heller
PIC is probably cheapest, you can buy a PICkit 2 for $35 or so which gives you a programmer/debugger and PIC16F690 evaluation board. Plenty of support is available from the Microchip forums. The dsPICs are quite good for learning DSP - not as good as an ADI or TI DSP, but the tools are free.

Leon
By Philba
it depends on what you want to do. One size definitely does not fit all.

I think the PIC would be a good starting point. However, FPGAs can do a lot that uCs can't.

By the way, I think just the bare PicKit2 dongle is $35. Best I can tell the eval board package adds $15. I have to admit though, the literature isn't terribly clear.
By mvs sarma
At 1K odd posts you ask a question and it makes others difficult to answer. I earnestly feel that you are enough experienced.

The best appears for me is to take one and try for a dozen designs. Then you would automatically decide the pros and cons of the chip you have used.
By Philba
could I get translation here?
By NleahciM
zbalz wrote:A few years ago when I was studying Electrical Engineering in college, I worked a lot with the PIC microcontroller. At the time it was pretty convenient to work with. Chips, development kits, and programmers were relatively cheap keeping startup costs low.

I'd like to get back into the embedded systems world again mainly as a hobby.But I'd like to learn an architecture that is cheap to get started in.

And most importantly one that is powerful/popular in the engineering world so I can keep up with my industry, particularly DSP and Embedded Systems.

Any recommendations on which family? Here are a few I've seen around:

- PIC
- ARM
- AVR
- PSoC
- FPGA
- Other?[/b]
Cheap to get started it in pretty much means AVR or PIC. There is a free C compiler for AVRs while there is a limited but free C compiler for PICs. (I'm assuming you'll want to program in C as that is the industry standard). Since you've already used PICs then I'd say it'd make the most sense to stick with those, though my personal preference is for AVRs due to the free and non-limited C compiler for them.

PSoCs, ARMs, and FPGAs have steeper learning curves and/or highser startup costs - so I wouldn't go that route until you need to.
By mvs sarma
Philba wrote:could I get translation here?
querry not clear sir
By macegr
If you really want to stay relevant to what all the big boys are playing with these days, you'll learn ARM. And maybe a sprinkling of FPGA with an eye to ASIC implementation. Smaller microcontrollers are being used, but ARM is where everything is happening, if you want to base a career around embedded programming. Maybe learn a couple older MCUs such as 8085 and 68HC11, so you're able to port old devices to newer hardware?
By seulater
i agree with Philba saying:
it depends on what you want to do. One size definitely does not fit all.
and macegr saying:
If you really want to stay relevant to what all the big boys are playing with these days, you'll learn ARM. And maybe a sprinkling of FPGA with an eye to ASIC implementation.
My opinion is to go with luminary micro. I was a NXP ARM fan for some time now. however, recently i have switched camps as i firmly believe that Luminary has got their act together more than the rest and truly understands the needs of embedded designers.
By Philba
For professional growth, I'd agree ARM or a MIPS core. But he said "hobby" and "inexpensive" hence the PIC (and pickit2) recommendations. Kind of hard to get a twofer.

The PIC32 has a relatively cheap starter board at $49. MIPs core. I know that the UBW guy is building a PIC32 version so there should be some cheap kits out there.
By seulater
Luminary, is very low cost. they have both high end and low end uP's

Personally, i would steer anyone away from Microchip. Not to start a flame war, but i believe that if you are going to lean uP's then get something with a real stack. learning the stack will benefit one later in life as you progress on into more complex things. Microchip has its place, and they are in a TON of products. I firmly bbelieve that if your going to learn something, get the foundation first. I.E. if your going to learn programming don't go from say basic to C and be done with it. make sure that you also learn assembler. knowing assembler even at a basic lever will allow you to fully understand what's going on inside when there is a problem. IT will also allow you to write better C code because you know the internals of the code when you write it.

That said, if ones goal is you flash a led and make a couple bucks selling it to your friends then forget what i said. However, if your going to be serious about it then the above is vital.
By bigglez
Greetings Phil,
Philba wrote:could I get translation here?
Samba, he be saying; Philba you're da man!
-OR-
Samba sez; Philba, you rock, dude!
-OR-
Yous so kewl, you be Ghost-riding the whip, man!

Comments Welcome! (and please post PIX of ya whip)
By bigglez
Philba wrote:disit
Yo mi peeps, is that an '97? They change the door handles that year, or what?
Can't tell without my Stunna Shades. You pimped it NASCAR style, dogg....

Keep It Real I mean, Comments Welcome!
By zbalz
Wow I appreciate all the responses!

I guess I'll clarify and say I'd like to put more of an emphasis on continue learning a technology that is hot with the engineering industry. As in, something I can take with me as experience in the embedded world. I was just hesitant to pursue any initial chip before posting because,

1) I've been out of the embedded systems world (doing more software/linux things lately) for the last 2 years, and

2) I don't want to spend hundreds on a development board for a dying chip family or technology.

I'm willing to spend the cash, as long as it has potential to do cool things, and can be beneficial to my career.

(Side Note: Any of the above chips offer linux support? :) )