SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By rappa
Anyone using the XBee Shield http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8471#

I'm wondering why they didn't put a female header on the XBee pins. I'ld like to use the I/O line passing feature of the XBee and that requires access to the pins. Anyone see a reason I couldn't solder two 10 pin female headers to the shield? Thanks
By stevech
not to divert, but another SparkFun vendor is Coridium - and I've used their Wireless ARMmite or some such name w/Xbees. It has a socket for an XBee. It's $39.xx. Add a $19 Xbee = $60. And you have an ARM7 based thing with GCC and Coridium's BASIC, as an alternative.
By rappa
Thanks for the suggestion. it looks like an interesting device but I'm not ready to shell out $50 for the C compiler
By corvette123
we also carry xbee pic based controllers...

link below :) its alot cheaper than the aurdino shield...
By BoulderBill
Yea, you can definitely add those headers. I'm not sure why they're not on there and why when you buy kits from other places ( see www.nkcelectronics.com ) that they're not included.

Also, I've had lots of success using line passing to reset remote arduinos with the XBee shield, if you have questions about that.

Cheers,
Bill
By rappa
BoulderBill wrote:Yea, you can definitely add those headers. I'm not sure why they're not on there and why when you buy kits from other places ( see www.nkcelectronics.com ) that they're not included.

Also, I've had lots of success using line passing to reset remote arduinos with the XBee shield, if you have questions about that.

Cheers,
Bill
Thanks for the info. I'm just waiting for my soldering iron and other misc. parts come in so I can add the headers.